Author Topic: 1841 and 1851 census George St. Oxford  (Read 5341 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 and 1851 census George St. Oxford
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I do have the register transcripts for the 2 churches in Abingdon for the period we are looking for - first the bad news - there are no Tasker baptisms at either of the churches - checked up to 1812

However at St Nicholas there are 2 buriels
1762 Feb 11th Thomas Tasker
1777 Dec 8th Mrs Tasker - in the church

- she must have been quite well off to get a burial in the church

The other bit I found unexpectedly was a marriage - from St Helens Abingdon

1821 October 8th
William Gardener to Sophia Tasker widow

so Sophia wasn't making it it up when she called herself Gardener - another peice in the jigsaw.

I am wondering if a look at the records for the Thame area of Oxfordshire might be in order - most of the Tasker references I have found for the period we are interested in seem to be from this area - it is on the boarders of Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire and James didn't seem to be able to make up his mind which he was born in - just a thought

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jabawak

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Debbie I had a hunch about Abingdon. Were there any children do you think? She was possibly young enough to have had 1 or 2. I am going to the local Family History Centre on Thursday and will get them to help me order the films for 1841 census for Oxford and Abingdon. This is getting exciting I don't think I'll sleep tonight.         Jabawak
Northumberland, Matfin, Jobling, Hall, White, Watson, Snowball  Middlesex London, Donegan, Biddell, Butler, Woodcock, Oxford, Tasker, Eaton, Gadney. Norfolk Woodcock. Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Just a thought:

Is it possible that William Gardener was a brother of James Gardner who married Sophia's sister Jemima?

I know the towns of Abingdon and South Hinksey where James was residing in 1820 are within 7 kms of the other... the families may have been friends

Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />