Author Topic: Reginald Pympe  (Read 1278 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Reginald Pympe
« on: Tuesday 25 April 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to make out any of this writing from a Chancery court record which I think must have been in the 15th century? I know that it relates to Reginald Pympe but I have been unable to read the whole document clearly. I believe that Reginald was 'of Nettlestead' but beyond that I haven't got any further. Can anyone tell me if any other people or places are mentioned and provide me with a date.

I have two other extracts from Chancery Court records which also appear to relate to Reginald Pympe but until I can establish if Reginald is connected to my Pym/Pyme/Pympe family in the area I'll only post the one extract.

Any idea, suggestions or help would be welcomed. So far Reginald isn't a confirmed definite ancestor but I believe he is part of my Pym ancestry. Therefore there's no need for a full transcription of the text, if someone can give me a rough summary or idea of what is going on here that will help me.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reginald Pympe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
This is in Latin and looks more like a plea of debt than a chancery case. (It would help if you would include the TNA references in your posts, if you can?)

Reginald, son and heir of William de Pympe, knight, is petitioning through his attorney that John Taillour (and others) pay him the fourteen pounds that he claims they owe him; he wants them arrested and brought into court.

Places mentioned are Silstede (= Selstead?), Swynefelde (= Swingfield?) and Alkham. As far as I can see there is no place of abode given for Reginald, and no date.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
This is in Latin and looks more like a plea of debt than a chancery case. (It would help if you would include the TNA references in your posts, if you can?)

Reginald, son and heir of William de Pympe, knight, is petitioning through his attorney that John Taillour (and others) pay him the fourteen pounds that he claims they owe him; he wants them arrested and brought into court.

Places mentioned are Silstede (= Selstead?), Swynefelde (= Swingfield?) and Alkham. As far as I can see there is no place of abode given for Reginald, and no date.

Thanks for the help with this one (and the others). Based on this info I'm not sure if Reginald is part of my Pympe tree so I will have to check. I know there is a Wiliam de Pympe, but I'm not sure how Reginald fits in.

My direct ancestor Robert Pympe of Chilham (1475-1532) was the son of John Pympe of All Saints in the parish of Hoo. He was born in 1450 and died in 1506 leaving a Will. He had a brother named William and two sisters named Elizabeth and Margaret although I don't know when they were born.

William, John, Elizabeth, and Margaret were the children of Thomas Pympe the elder of All Hallows (d1473) and his second wife Elizabeth. He also had four children by his wife (unnamed wife), Thomas Pympe (d1508), Margaret Pympe (a prioress), Robert Pympe, and Alice Pympe (a nun).

If I can work out the date of this document and see who else is named I might be able to see how he links to the other Pympes in the area.

Many thanks again for the help

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
If I can work out the date of this document and see who else is named I might be able to see how he links to the other Pympes in the area.

That's why I suggested you include the TNA references when you download each document from AALT, because those TNA references should help to establish the date.

Offline cyderman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Reginald Pympe
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Spotted your entry about the Pympe then on to Pimm in Chilham. It is is part of my family Tree iif you Google PimmStyles tree you will find more information. Also try Ancestry.com the pyme's go back to 1200 I think ists about 80% correct.

Vic Styles from Southampton[email]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the help with this one (and the others). Based on this info I'm not sure if Reginald is part of my Pympe tree so I will have to check. I know there is a Wiliam de Pympe, but I'm not sure how Reginald fits in.

My direct ancestor Robert Pympe of Chilham (1475-1532) was the son of John Pympe of All Saints in the parish of Hoo. He was born in 1450 and died in 1506 leaving a Will. He had a brother named William and two sisters named Elizabeth and Margaret although I don't know when they were born.

William, John, Elizabeth, and Margaret were the children of Thomas Pympe the elder of All Hallows (d1473) and his second wife Elizabeth. He also had four children by his wife (unnamed wife), Thomas Pympe (d1508), Margaret Pympe (a prioress), Robert Pympe, and Alice Pympe (a nun).

Many thanks again for the help

Matt