Author Topic: Charles Daly  (Read 6597 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline flickw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Daly
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 January 19 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Greg(is it?) . This is a quote from 'A Deathless Story' - the account of the survivors of the Birkenhead shipwreck - of whom Charles was one. It is on this that I base the few facts that I have:

'Charles Daly died a rich man, but he began the battle of
life a poor lad. He was born at Gort, in Co. Galway, on
March I7th (St. Patrick's Day), 1832. His father was a
bailiff to Lord Clanricarde, and the family, a large one, was

reared on the estate. Things were not very prosperous at

232 A DEATHLESS STORY

home, and young Daly decided that he could better his
fortunes by going abroad Accordingly, he left Ireland
while still a boy. In 1849 he landed at Durban'  'He was not without education'

My knowledge of the Irish troubles is limited at best. Could a land-owning family ( of the Lismore/ Dunsandle ilk) have been brought so low as to be described as 'a poor lad' Then again did the poor have access to education?  I had read of the Dunsandle Dalys, but assumed that my guy was low born.
All very complicated!
I do appreciate all the input that I get from the forums and message boards.
Rgds

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 January 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Most of the Daly landed gentry descend from this guy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermot_%C3%93_Daly

Your family hadn't sunk so low, rather, you likely descend from a second, third, or fourth son down the 10 generations from Dermot Daly. These fellows had to make their own way in the world.

There are some clues regarding the Birkenhead. It was transporting troops from the 74th regiment of Highlanders. Left Portsmouth, England and picked up more troops in Cork, Ireland. I would check the muster rolls for this regiment. Maybe Charles had joined the army, or his father had.

Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 January 19 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline flickw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 January 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again!
I had a laugh when I read that the founding father of the Daly clan was known as a 'chancer'. Our guy, Charles, was also described (in a book on the Boer War) as an opportunistic man!! Clearly ran in the family!!
I am attaching the link to 'A Deathless Story' for your interest. Charles was a civilian who was taken on board the Birkenhead from St Helena. The details are in the link. It really is an exciting story-worth a novel, even!!
https://archive.org/stream/deathlessstoryor00addiiala/deathlessstoryor00addiiala_djvu.txt
You will need to scroll to item 231 to find Charles Daly's story.
Would be happy to receive any ideas you may have in the future.
rgds
Flick

Offline Tksabie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 September 20 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All
My gg-grandfather was John Barkley, aka James Barkly. He was a survivor of the Birkenhead wreck who reportedly deserted the army after the event and headed inland with "his friends Daly and Seymour". My g-uncle CF Mathews, farmed near to the Daly farm in the Northern Cape and remembers it well. So they settled in the same general area of Western South Africa.
John Barkley was thought to have changed his name from O'Connor. He founded the town of Bloemhof in the Transvaal.
Does anyone have any information on John Barkley?

Offline flickw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 September 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I am interested to read about your connection with Barkley. I am researching  Charles Daly who is the 'Daly' of Daly and Seymour in your reference. Do you have any written history of their friendship. I phoned Bloemhof tourism , asking for info on your relation and mine, but they were not helpful.
I would appreciate any info on Charles Daly that you or your family could provide.
Rgds
Flick Willmore

Offline Tksabie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 September 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I cannot shed any further light at this stage. Barkley was an enigma. Was his name Barkley or had he changed it from O'Connor when he left the ship? Family word-of-mouth history says he deserted the army after the wreck, changed his name to Barkley, and headed inland with 2 others. There was an O'Connor listed as Lost at Sea which means, if he deserted, could be incorrect. There are no records anywhere of an O'Connor subsequent to the event. Barkley was known for founding the town of Bloemhof. We have records of his family from after he arrived in Bloemhof fairly closely recorded. But we do nopt know who he really was. Compounding this, in 1870, he left home one morning, to herd cattle, and was never seen again. He was presumed eaten by lions, and a Declaration of Death Notice was issued. Family reckon that he merely disappeared and restarted life elsewhere. Charles Daly was very much a real person: he was listed as a passenger, he retained his name, he farmed in the Northern Cape, and his ancestors are known. Any information on John Barkley would be gratefully accepted. Perhaps the Daly history has information on their association which could shed light of this subject. Thanks