Author Topic: Gray, Lemon, Williamson, Riddell, Chapman, Moore, Corbett, Byers and Sturgeon  (Read 2160 times)

Offline elliotgc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm planning a trip to Ireland to research my ancestry in more detail and wondered whether you had any tips or advice on where to go or how to go about it. I have done a lot of research into my family history, but most of my branches are stuck in the early to mid 19th century. They were all Church of Ireland or Presbyterian, and all lived in Monaghan.

The Grays were originally from Baltrasna, Oldcastle, Meath, but my great grandfather John GRAY (1896-1967) moved to Clones. His parents were Thomas Frederick GRAY (1867-1931) and Mary Elizabeth LEMON (1868-1911).

The LEMONS were from Killycronaghan, Killeevan. My great great grandfather was John LEMON (c1839-1935). His father was David LEMON, his mother was probably Mary PATTEN (1805-1890), daughter of James PATTEN and Rachel BLAKELEY. There were other Lemons in Killycronaghan but it is not known where David fits in.

The Williamsons were from Listellan, Killeevan. My great great grandmother was Harriett Anne WILLIAMSON (c1849-1922), who was married to John LEMON. Her parents were John WILLIAMSON (c1818-1884) and Sarah RIDDELL (c1820-1886). John's father was James WILLIAMSON, his mother's name is unknown.

The Riddells were from Mullycrock, Tullycorbet. I found a great deal about them in "The History of the Ancient Ryedales" written in 1884 by GT Ridlon. Sarah's parents were Thomas RIDDELL and a Miss SLOAN. No dates for them.

The Chapmans were from Dundrennan, Ematris. My great grandmother was Lucinda Isabella CHAPMAN (1899-1942). She was married to John GRAY. She was born in Drumlinny and her parents were Robert CHAPMAN (c1861-1932) and Margaret Jane CORBETT (c1863-1944). Robert's parents were Robert CHAPMAN (1824-1902) and Margaret MOORE (c1841-1921). Robert senior's parents were John and Sarah CHAPMAN (no further information about them).

The Moores were from Dromore, Errigal Trough. Margaret's father was Charles MOORE, her mother is unknown.

The Corbetts were from Drumaclan, Kilmore; and Rossnaglough, Aghabog. My 3x great grandfather was Samuel Hamilton CORBETT (c1830-1900). His father was also called Samuel Hamilton CORBETT. They were both schoolmasters, but I don't know where (possibly Rockcorry School or Brownhill National School as his daughter went there) and I have no further information about Samuel senior.

The Byers family were from Tirmadown, Kilmore. My 3x great grandmother was Jane BYERS (c1830-?) who was married to Samuel Hamilton CORBETT junior. Her parents were John BYERS (c1797-1878) and Margaret STURGEON (c1805-1878). They are also brickwalls.

Any advice on how to continue my search would be greatly appreciated. I feel I've exhausted all online sources and need to continue my search on foot, but I'd rather be prepared when I go to Ireland so I make the most of my time there. I'm also asking on the off-chance that other people here may be related to these families.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Elliot

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gray, Lemon, Williamson, Riddell, Chapman, Moore, Corbett, Byers and Sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
Elliott

Welcome to Rootschat

Have you seen this previous topic LINK from 2010?
This is an old topic but David must be related

Also Thomas Frederick GRAY married Mary Elizabeth LEMON on May 3 1891 LINK #190
It states that Thomas' father was Joseph GRAY as you stated and his occupation a Coachman

Are you sure you have the correct parents for Thomas?
There is an 1867 birth in the Oldcastle district if Co. Meath LINK #8
This child, Thomas GRAY,  was born to Joseph GRAY a coachman and Jane MUGRAVE it reads as

Joseph GRAY m Jane McGREANE in Oldcastle on Dec 06 1852 Civil Reference Q-/V9/P362 LINK
The record is not yet online

there is also a tree online on a paid site with this marraige and set of parents for the Thomas Frederick GRAY that married Mary Elizabeth LEMON
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline elliotgc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gray, Lemon, Williamson, Riddell, Chapman, Moore, Corbett, Byers and Sturgeon
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks, David is my dad. I have more information about the family since then and didn't want to jump on an old thread. I have the records you mention, including the birth certificate for Thomas Gray/Grey, but thanks very much for looking and for confirming my findings. His mother's name on the certificate is Jane Magrane, but there are several spelling variations and the more common spelling is McGrane or McGrayne - I also have DNA matches to other descendants of Jane's father, John McGrayne. I have a subscription to RootsIreland and have checked out many of the records there.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Have you looked up Death Certs for those who died in Ireland?

e.g.  Jane BYERS (c1830-?) who was married to Samuel Hamilton CORBETT junior.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1921/05103/4402033.pdf died Drumkeen... then check Census, see if you can find more recent g/stones which often lead to living kin.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
Ahh so you are related!  ;D

Glad you have the Grays also - they weren't mentioned

You have come to the place where most of us are stuck with Irish ancestors - those of us who had famous, or infamous, ancestors are sometimes lucky enough to find written reports about them but for the rest of us we are dependent on what was recorded and what survives

I hope you have a lovely trip - my advice would be to have a plan of action
Investigate the addresses you want to visit in advance and even phone local establishments in advance to find out information; this can save time inquiring during your stay.
If you are going to dedicate some time to the records offices in Dublin make sure you give enough time.

e.g. Land records are available to view at the Valuations Office LINK and prove very useful to see how land changed hands; I would have specific addresses for those relatives that were farmers or landowners if you are going to visit.

Mostly enjoy!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
3x great grandfather was Samuel Hamilton CORBETT (c1830-1900).
D
Who did she marry? Who is on Census? Death record for her? etc

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
 Birth, Marriage and Death results for Corbett of Cootehill
Area - Cootehill

Displaying results 1 - 100 of 131. irishgenealogy  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k0s/

Offline elliotgc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I mentioned the Grays briefly but as they were originally from Meath I was focusing on my ancestors from Monaghan.

I've been unable to locate a death certificate for Jane Corbett, nee Byers. She married Samuel Hamilton Corbett in Kilmore, Monaghan in 1855. I don't think the death you posted is correct as Samuel was a widower when he died in Rossnaglough in 1900, so she must have died before 1900.

I've used the civilrecords site to find deaths for my ancestors, where I could, and ordered those I could locate between 1864 and 1891, but there are still some gaps. I don't think that's unusual in Ireland!

Thanks for the advice, mainly I want to ensure that I'm properly prepared and don't waste my time when I'm there.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile