Author Topic: 1670 marriage consideration William Hollyer & Sarah Ffarmer  (Read 1124 times)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Re: 1670 marriage consideration William Hollyer & Sarah Ffarmer
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
Wow Bookbox your explanation answers a lot of questions. I thank you for your help and incite.

In Thomas Hollyer's will dated 4 Sep 1695 (prob 1698) quote "I give and bequeath unto my son Thomas Holliar and his heirs for ever all my common land and common meadowing lying in Nether Whittacre after the decease of my eldest son William Holliar that is to say Six Ridges in the Church Crofts, eleven Ridges in the great Ridding, nine Ridges in the town Field, nine Ridges in the Mill field all arable lands."

The son William Hollier dies Apr 1696. probate of Thomas was probably delayed as a result of the overlapping deaths and of this document. It just seems that Sarah's daughter should have had an interest.
Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't explain this. The difficulty is that we don't know the outcome of the queries raised regarding the settlement, nor what other deeds and arrangements may have been made within the family in the 25 years between the marriage in 1670 and Thomas drawing up his will in 1695.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
Goldie, Bookbox

Thank you so much for your help. I learned a lot about historic prenup agreements and fines. I will be on the lookout for these Feet of fines

Feet of fines are court copies of agreements following disputes over property. In reality, the disputes were mostly fictitious and were simply a way of having the transfer of ownership of land recorded officially by the king’s court.
The agreements were normally written out three times on a single sheet of parchment – two copies side by side and one copy across the bottom (the foot) of the sheet, separated by an indented or wavy line.
The purchaser kept one copy, the seller the other and the final copy – ‘the foot of the fine’- was kept by the king’s court as a central record of the conveyance.
Using one piece of parchment separated in this way gave protection against fraud or forgery as only the genuine copies would fit together – like a jigsaw.

Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
I will be on the lookout for these Feet of fines
The class-description that you’ve quoted above, from Discovery, relates only to enrolled documents, where the 'foot' has ended up at TNA. In reality, most property deeds are held at local record offices.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
Just a pedantic note, but the double "f" should not be transcribed as Ffarmer or Ffrancis - it is just the way an upper case F was written,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire