Author Topic: Mitchell family  (Read 1709 times)

Offline sharoncs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Mitchell family
« on: Monday 01 May 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.  I'm helping my daughter trace her dad's side of her family tree and we've come across a Catharine/Catherine/Kate Mitchell  (depends where you look as to the spelling of her name!).  She was born in 1843 in County Sligo.  We have her in 1861 as a boarder with the Fuin family in Ashton under Lyne in Lancashire, and can find her in England after this date, but cannot trace anything for her back in Ireland. All we can find is that her father was called John Mitchell.  We've tried RootsIreland but the only Catherine we can find on there doesn't really seem to match; that shows birth 1844 (what's a year in genealogy) but with a father's name of James.  Were James and John interchangeable? As we don't even have a town name in County Sligo we've hit a dead end.  Is there anything else we can do?  Anywhere else we can look?  TIA - any help or pointers would be very gratefully received - we were up til 2am going round and round in circles!
Hewson/Beal - Scarborough
Burgess - Leeds/Bridlington/Scarborough/Quebec
Kemp - Leeds/Hull
Depledge - Goole/Knottingley/Hull
Lake - Leeds/Deeping St James
Hodsman - Hull
Playford - Leeds/Norfolk

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I searched the Tithe records, taxes and rents and saw a James Mitchell, the only one at this time.
Mitchell James Kincullue   Ballysumaghan   Sligo   1824

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587407/004587407_00108.pdf

If she was a Catholic you could try
http://registers.nli.ie

both site are free.
maggsie

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 17 15:40 BST (UK) »