Author Topic: Was my great grandmother adopted?  (Read 8694 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Was my great grandmother adopted?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was just wondering that? May give some more clues. I've had a quick look but can't see them easily.

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Still no luck finding them in 1851 census.....but found this interesting( can see from Frances' marriage
to Wlm Ward that her father was Gustavus + have found the family in 1841 inc.Frances)

Possibly Fra's sisters marriage Emma Ware Aug26 1852 St.Philips Birm.age 19(fits 1841) father
Gustavus...witnesses Charles Ward + Frances Ward

Francis Ware bapt.22nd April 1821 Cannock -Gustavus + Frances-also same day Richard + Maria

Checking G.R.O for youngest child of Gust+ Frances-mother Dean..

Marriage Gustavus Ware + Frances Dean 27 Dec 1811 St Mary's Portsea

Not a Taylor in sight!!!

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

I wonder if you may have made the same mistake as I did when I first used the GRO Index.

There are 2 separate boxes for first and second forenames, I made the mistake of entering both forenames in the same box and came up with nothing.

I have just tried using Frances Jane Taylor's birth details, with forenames in different boxes, and it works for me.

Hope this helps  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
I finally got Frances Jane Taylor up on GRO! Not sure if changing my browser from IE to Chrome had anything to do with it but I now get her up even just using the surname plus birth year and district. I see it cost 9 pounds+ for a full birth certificate, and that's including postage which would be around $15 Australian. When I order BDM certs. from NZBDM online they cost me $20 and that is for sending it via email and not a full one. I have ordered the birth certificate and hopefully will give me the name of the mother and if it states whether she was illegitimate. But even then it does not help me knowing whether Frances Jane was adopted by William and Frances Ward. I was hoping there was somewhere where I could find adoption records as trying to figure out why Francis Jane used the surname of Taylor, especially when she married John James Keefe and her father William Ward was a witness. I cannot find a birth registration for a Frances Jane Ward that matches the birth year as yet.
I have for Frances (nee Ware) Ward all her family information I could find while searching, mainly on ancestry when I was a member - birth, baptism, marriage and death registrations, census records plus info. on their trip out to NZ in 1856 for Frances, William and Frances Jane and Frances Ward's Will and Probate (found on NZ Archives) and NZ Electoral Rolls. For William Ward all I have when he lived in England is his marriage to Frances Ware and the name of his father, Joseph Ward who was also a sawyer.
 Thanks again for all your advice and help. Much appreciated.
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 01:14 BST (UK) »
Legal adoption did not start until 1927 so there will be no adoption records.

Any 'adoptions' that took place before then were private arrangements and there will be no record of these I'm afraid.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 02:13 BST (UK) »
This has a lot of similarities but a few things which don't add up & possibly a mix up with names/ages but thought I'd post it anyway just incase  ???

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZF-RJF

Viewable on BlindMyPast & Fancestry

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 02:24 BST (UK) »
Looking at your marriage date for William & Frances I think my post of the 1851 isn't them.

Too many older children unless a 2nd marriage for either or both?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 03:32 BST (UK) »
Looking at your marriage date for William & Frances I think my post of the 1851 isn't them.

Too many older children unless a 2nd marriage for either or both?

Annie

Yes, the maiden name of the mother of at least James and Lloyd is HIGGETT.

Added: also Charles, Thomas, Rebecca and Julia Ann.  ;)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 03:34 BST (UK) »
..... But even then it does not help me knowing whether Frances Jane was adopted by William and Frances Ward. I was hoping there was somewhere where I could find adoption records as trying to figure out why Francis Jane used the surname of Taylor, especially when she married John James Keefe and her father William Ward was a witness. .....

May I ask some questions re the NZ marriage record.... 

:) Does it show the bride as a spinster or widow?  Widows often re-married under their married name rather than their birth name ...
 :) Does it state the relationship of the bride to the witness William Ward or perhaps nominate the location of the ceremony as 'at the home of the bride's father, William Ward' or similar ?

I don't know what additional information would be on either the NZ ITM (Intention to Marry) or the NZ BDM marriage Printout (different from the formal certificate) for that era, but I do know that the RChatters on the NZ board would likely be willing to help you further with advice.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/new-zealand/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.