Author Topic: Robert Munro and Sarah McNee, Little River.  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Remove Kebab

• RootsChat Extra
  • The patriarch of the Percy's of NZ. 1797-1864
    • View Profile
Robert Munro and Sarah McNee, Little River.
« on: Tuesday 02 May 17 05:05 BST (UK) »
After tracing my family tree for the past couple of years I have succeeded in finding almost all of my 4x GGrandparents. The only outstanding ones are the parents of Robert Munro and Sarah McNee, I've been unable to find anything on this pair prior to their marriage, and little (aside from the births of their children) afterwards. What I have found follows:

Robert Munro married Sarah McNee in Invercargill in July 1864.
I have a copy of their intention to marry, which states Roberts age as 28, his occupation as "Constable" (presumably of Police) and time of residence in Invercargill as 4 days ( ::) )
Sarah is 27, occupation "Servant" and has resided in Invercargill for 6 months.

The couple went on to have 7 children:

Catherine, born 1865, (I've been unable to trace her.)

Robert born 1866, died 1867 in Akaroa. First burial at Governors Bay Cemetary

His twin, John Alexander, born 14 Sep 1866, in Akaroa (per Foresters application.) Married twice, to Mary Emily Madden nee Burling and Maud Ransome. Died 1939 in Masterton. My GG Grandfather.

(All subsequent births in the Akaroa/Little River region)

William Daniel, born 1868. Married Christina Mckay and died in 1957

Hugh Charles, born 1870. Also came to the Wairarapa, married Eliza Melton and died in 1945.

Robert Henry Thomas, born 1871, died in 1873

Sarah Jane , born 1873, married Henry Thomas Houghton, died 1962.

After the birth of Sarah Jane, Robert Sr disappears. I am of the opinion he is the Robert Munro who dies in Christchurch in 1873, but I have no proof.

Sarah remains in Little River after this, I have found newspaper reports of her being paid to clean the Schoolhouse etc. She is still there in 1905, living in the Okute Valley. However she vanishes after this as well. The only death that matches in one of a Sarah Munro in Invercargill in 1916. This Sarah is buried in an unmarked grave. I have not bought the death cert as her burial record provides no details about her, presumably the informant was the same on both. She only ever appears on one electoral record which has made tracing her difficult (unless she took up with another man I suppose).

Now the part that intrigues me most. At some point in time John Alexander and Hugh migrate to the Wairarapa. They are, in 1896, in Tinui, working as labourers. Why and how did they wind up here? Where there family members there already? Its a tiny isolated settlement today, let alone in the 1890's. If it was due to the death of Robert, why would you send the eldest and the third sons, not the second? If anyone can shed some light on this I would be ecstatic.

A couple things that I missed earlier:

Robert was described as a shepherd on William Daniels marriage certificate, and Sarah's birthplace was given as the Shetland Islands. I've been unable to find any records of a Sarah McNee from the Shetlands.

To summarise what I'm hoping you guys can help me with

Find Robert and Sarah prior to immigration,

Find what happened to them, regarding their deaths.

Any tidbits about their lives would help, I've found few newspaper reports about them, plenty about the "other" Robert Munro (of Pigeon Bay)

Find why Jack and Hugh alone went to the Wairarapa.

Anything else I haven't listed here about their lives would be great though, those are just the main points.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sam.

Percy/Pursey. Taunton, Sherborne in Uk. Wairarapa/Hutt
Carlyon: Cornwall/NZ (of Tregrehan)
Cox: North Leigh Oxd, Pahiatua
Burcher: Forest of Dean/Newport/NZ
Foster: Lincolnshire to NZ (esp Pinder Foster)
Jewitt: Ulceby, Eketahuna
Cundy: Cornwall, Hutt/Featherston
Smith: Westwell, Wellington
Smith: Grantham, Goombungee, NZ
Bell: South Kirkby
Harriss: Chevington
Ransome: Surrey?
Munro: Akaroa to Tinui

Moss, Rodaway, Burgess, Milne, Yule and assorted others as well.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Munro and Sarah McNee, Little River.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

Just digesting all of this ... will get back to you shortly.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Sam

I know you only have the "Intention to Marry" notice for Robert and Sarah, but can you tell us please the place of their marriage ?

Also, I guess you are aware that Sarah's surname is spelled as "MACULL" on the NZBDM (online) Marriage index ??

Although ... from another source (NZSG Marriages CD) Sarah's surname is given as both MACULL and MACNEE  ?? 

Just wondered if when searching for her likely birth, you'd checked variations of her maiden name (I'm supposing you have  ;) ) ?   [MACULL seems an unusual name ?  ... McCALL / MacCALL maybe ?? ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
Death - Sarah MUNRO at Invercargill - 16 February 1916 :

I don't think I would totally overlook the above.

Yes, the Eastern Cemetery record shows there is no (apparent) headstone ... but given that the age at death (78 years) is a very good match ...  plus  the fact your Sarah had an earlier connection to the locality by marrying in Invercargill in 1864, I think it's worth investigating further.  ;)

I noticed that the "Southland Times" carried two notices of the death of this Sarah MUNRO - one on the day after she was buried ??   Both only gave her name/ age ... and that the the burial was a private affair.   

Helpfully, the Funeral Director's name was published and happened to be the firm of J. FRASER who hold historical records of funerals.    You may like to firstly make an enquiry at the following link ?

http://www.frasersfunerals.co.nz/history.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 22:54 BST (UK) »

After the birth of Sarah Jane, Robert Sr disappears. I am of the opinion he is the Robert Munro who dies in Christchurch in 1873, but I have no proof.

Hi ... the date of death of above Robert MUNRO (as deduced from the online death registration listing), was 30 June 1873.

This looks to be his burial.
http://heritage.christchurchcitylibraries.com/Cemeteries/interment.asp?id=80933

[Note:  The cemetery record states date of death was "1 July 1873" (so one day away from 30 June). ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
 ... unfortunately, a death record for 1873 (NZ) does not provide a great deal of information.  :(

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/timeline

Offline Remove Kebab

• RootsChat Extra
  • The patriarch of the Percy's of NZ. 1797-1864
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 May 17 00:11 BST (UK) »
Really appreciate your taking a look at it Lu, and its good to see a couple of newish avenues to explore  :D

The fact that her surname is given as both Macall and M(a)cNee on the NZSG marriages  is fascinating (I presume that's just an index?) I worked under the impression the Macall was a mis-transcription, as I knew her maiden name was McNee prior to my search, but obviously not.  ::)

I did though search under Macull, McCall etc, just in case she went under a stepfathers name or something akin to that. I couldn't find anything but it wasn't a deep search, so I'll try again.

I think, since you agree the Invercargill death is promising, that I'll purchase the death printout for her. I'll email the funeral directors as well, but I think the only way to gain concrete proof of her identity, since she married so early, is on the off chance the informant knew something.

Yes, the early death certs are (comparatively) terrible, I've fallen victim to them once already. Robert may have to remain an enigma then, I was hoping, as he was a "constable" there would be some sort of record of service, but I can't find anything enticing on Archway.

Sam

Percy/Pursey. Taunton, Sherborne in Uk. Wairarapa/Hutt
Carlyon: Cornwall/NZ (of Tregrehan)
Cox: North Leigh Oxd, Pahiatua
Burcher: Forest of Dean/Newport/NZ
Foster: Lincolnshire to NZ (esp Pinder Foster)
Jewitt: Ulceby, Eketahuna
Cundy: Cornwall, Hutt/Featherston
Smith: Westwell, Wellington
Smith: Grantham, Goombungee, NZ
Bell: South Kirkby
Harriss: Chevington
Ransome: Surrey?
Munro: Akaroa to Tinui

Moss, Rodaway, Burgess, Milne, Yule and assorted others as well.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 May 17 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam,

The resource I have used for former police officers is:

Police Staff Register with Nominal Index. Book 1. 1859-1927. (Microfilm 3348)

However I can't find this file on Archway. I recall from the last time I tried to access it that a restriction was placed on the file.

I believe that you now have to specify the individual you want to research in your request and that is all the information they will provide, rather than allowing you to scroll through the microfilm.

Would you like me to ask on your behalf?

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 May 17 03:39 BST (UK) »
Oho, or perhaps this digitized file might hold the answers you're after!

https://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=10367013&digital=yes

ADDENDUM: Access denied - authorized users only.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL