Author Topic: seaman lists from north wales ports  (Read 3372 times)

Offline kitman64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
seaman lists from north wales ports
« on: Wednesday 03 May 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
my g/grandfathers brother Humphrey Owen Stevens b1838 Talyllyn, Merionethshire, North Wales emigrated to Australia pre 1860. I have found him working on steam and tugboats post 1862 in Australian  waters working out of Sydney and Melbourne as a ships steward, I cannot yet find him on Australian and New South Wales assisted or unassisted immigrant passenger  lists 1826-1922. "did he work his passage over to AUS? Is it possible that he worked in shipping in North Wales ports. pre 1860. does anyone know if there are any lists of ships crews that cover the North Wales ports he married in Sydney aus dec 1863 and died august 1896 Sydney aus. any help on this one would be appreciated
kitman

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: seaman lists from north wales ports
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
There is a Seaman's record of a Humphrey Stevens in 1855 but states the birthplace as Barmouth and no specific details.
No other records of a Humphrey born in Merionethshire, other than Humphrey Owen.

You may have this already:

Thomas Jones Stevens of Cambridge and Jane (Anne?) Owen Married 19 Jul 1832 at Dolgellau

Humphrey Owen Stevens baptised on 9th April 1838 at Llanegryn, son of Thomas Jones, Gentleman, and Ann Stevens of Cyfannedd Fawr.

See - http://charleshawes.veddw.com/wales-coast-path/wales-coast-path-llwyngwril-to-llanenddwyn/
and - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dolgellau/5693134682

Also
Anne Elizabeth Stevens baptised at Dolgellau on 29th June 1833 at Dolgellau, daughter of Thomas Jones, Gentleman, and Anne of Dolgellau.
Emma Owen Stevens baptised on day 17th May 1834 at Dolgellau, daughter of Thomas Jones, Gentleman, and Anne Stevens of Dolgellau.
Thomas Jones Stevens, born 21st July 1835, baptised at Dolgellau on 19th August 1935, son of Thomas Jones Stevens and Anne of Dolgellau. Buried 8 Nov 1902.
David Stevens baptised on 31st May 1841 at Dolgellau, son of Thomas Jones Esqr. and Anne of Dolgellau.
Margaret Lloyd Stevens baptised on 9th April 1843 at Dolgellau, daughter of Thomas Jones Esqr. and Anne of Cyfannedd. Buried 11 Apr 1843.

1841 Census - Cyfannedd Fawr, Llanegryn, Dolgelley
Thos Stevens 30 1811
Anne Stevens 8 1833 Merionethshire
Emma Stevens 7 1834 Merionethshire
Thos Stevens 5 1836 Merionethshire
Humphrey Stevens 3 1838 Merionethshire

1841 Census - Eldon Square, Dolgelley
Anne Stevens 25 1816 Merionethshire
David Stevens 18 days 1841 Merionethshire

1851 Census - Aran, Dolgelly, Merionethshire
Anne Stevens Head Married 38 1813 Proprietor Of Houses born in Dolgellau
Thomas, Emma, and David are all living separately and no sign of a father.

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
A couple of articles from - http://newspapers.library.wales

Two for Thomas Jones Stevens and there are several later articles for his son of the same name

The North Wales Chronicle and Advertiser for the Principality - 30th July 1839
The following gentlemen appeared on the Grand Jury Sir Robt. Williames Vaughan, Bart., Foreman.
Sir William Wynn, Knight.
Edward Lloyd, Esq, Raggatt.
William Watkin Edwards Wynne, Esq., Peniarth.
Edward Owen, Esq, Garth.
Howell Lloyd, Esq, Raggatt.
Rice Anwyl, Esq, Fron.Robert Nanney Hartley. Esq., Llwyn.
Edward Lloyd Edwards, Esq., Dolserey.
George Lloyd, Bala.
John Williams, Essq., Brecon Place.
Lewis Williams Esq., Fronwnion.
Thomas Jones Stevens, Ksq., Gafaneddfawr.
Robert Barker, Esq., Clynn.
Lewis Pugh, Esq., Dolgelley.
John Jones, Esq., Plas Ucha.

David

Carnarvon and Denbigh Herald and North and South Wales Independent - 29th August 1846
Notice is Hereby Give, THAT a Meeting of the Creditors of Mr. THOMAS JONES STEVENS, late of Dolgelley, in the County of Merioneth, and Insolvent Debtor, will be held at the STAR INN, in the Town of DOLGELLEY aforesaid, on SATURDAY, the 5th day of SEPTEMBER next, at the hour of II o'clock in the forenoon; and at which meeting such creditors as attend will be required to assent to or dissent from me, the undersigned James Cazenove, joining in a Sale or Sales of certain Four Houses, situate in Lion-street, in the said town of Dolgelley, now in the holding or occupation of Griffith Griffiths, Thomas Evans, William Jones, and Jane Griffiths, and also of the Raven Inn, in Dolgelley aforesaid, with its outbuildings in the occupation of Mr. John Roberts; and in which Houses,and Inn the said Insolvent has an Estate in fee, expectant on the death of his wile, and also to discuss the affairs of the Insolvent. Dated this 12th day of August, 1846. JAMES CAZENOVE, Official Assignee, Liverpool. DAVID PUGH, of Dolgelley, Solicitor for the said Insolvent.

David

Offline kitman64

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
thanks dcbnwh, Humphrey stevens, seamans record for 1855 is a great possibility, I have info on rest of your first post thanks for info on second post I did not have; any records and info on humphery you find will be gratefully received, I still live in hope of finding his departure from uk waters.
kitman

Offline ARRYASTARK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 July 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
my g/grandfathers brother Humphrey Owen Stevens b1838 Talyllyn, Merionethshire, North Wales emigrated to Australia pre 1860. I have found him working on steam and tugboats post 1862 in Australian  waters working out of Sydney and Melbourne as a ships steward, I cannot yet find him on Australian and New South Wales assisted or unassisted immigrant passenger  lists 1826-1922. "did he work his passage over to AUS? Is it possible that he worked in shipping in North Wales ports. pre 1860. does anyone know if there are any lists of ships crews that cover the North Wales ports he married in Sydney aus dec 1863 and died august 1896 Sydney aus. any help on this one would be appreciated
kitman

Offline ARRYASTARK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 July 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
The Stevens family from Dolgellau are closely related to me. Thomas and Anne's son John was my ggrandfather. He and Humphrey were brothers. Humphrey and sister, Emma, emigrated to Australia. The other siblings remained in GB.I have lots of info. on all of them if you, or any other relative, want to get in touch

Offline ARRYASTARK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 July 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
The Stevens family from Dolgellau are closely related to me. Thomas and Anne's son John was my ggrandfather. He and Humphrey were brothers. Humphrey and sister, Emma, emigrated to Australia. The other siblings remained in GB.I have lots of info. on all of them if you, or any other relative, want to get in touch

Offline Judith Perry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 August 19 23:46 BST (UK) »
To descendants of Humphrey Owen Stevens. He was my grandfather's brother. David, the youngest son, of the same family was married to Margaret nee Corry from Waitahuna near Lawrence in Otago. David was from Dunedin,NZ. As far as I know Humphrey spent time ashore in Dunedin NZ and was married to Jane Maule. I think she died and their children were left in Dunedin. My family didn't know.
I suspect they may have been placed in care.  David ,my grandfather had four sons, Ralph, Arthur,Mark and George my father. One of Arthur's sons is a Sir Ken Stevens in Auckland.
Judyfos

Offline ARRYASTARK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 October 19 17:52 BST (UK) »
Humphrey Owen Stevens born Dolgellau, Merioneth c1835 emigrated to Australia, maybe working his passage in the 1850s. He married ?Maule in NZ and fell on hard times following her death. He was taken to court for neglecting his children claiming he had to work to keep them.Some were removed to special training schools. He did re- marry.