Author Topic: William and Rachel Aubrey/Awbrey in 1861-1881 census  (Read 2915 times)

Offline rmt11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William and Rachel Aubrey/Awbrey in 1861-1881 census
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 January 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I’ve got Rachel’s death certificate - died 9 May 1871 in the village of Llangennech aged 70 - the widow of William Aubrey a Coalminer - the informant was her youngest son Joseph Aubrey again from the village of Llangennech

I haven’t been able to trace Joseph in 1871 either

From what I have been able to research I believe William passed away between 1859 & 1862 (info from his children’s marriage certificates) but I haven’t been able to locate a grave - only Rachel appears to be in the grave in Caersalem

You’ve previously mentioned his sons David & Daniel - his son William & grandson William also died in a mining disater. “Died at an explosion at Lower Duffryn Colliery Mountain Ash aged 35 on 25 February 1858 - death toll 20 including his son William aged 12”

Regards

Ruth

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 January 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been looking on FindmyPast for marriages on William’s children and I have narrowed his death down 1856 – 1860 as not listed as deceased in 1856 marriage of daughter Ruth, but is listed as deceased on marriage certificate of daughter Elizabeth in 1860. Do you have any other information as I can’t find all the marriages. That he was alive in 1856 is also not necessarily correct as father’s aren’t always listed as deceased, even if they were.

William was born around 1796. Probably clutching a straws; but FindMyPast have a William Aubray age 57, born 1795, miner of Wales emigrating to New York, arriving 29May 1852, but they state departure port is Liverpool which seems less likely. Image is here https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-RMBR-B?i=483&cc=1849782

And on https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/147706056 there is the death of a William Aubrey in 1858 age 65 Tioga County, Pennsylvania, USA. A lot of Welsh miners did emigrate to work in the Pennsylvania coal mines

Offline rmt11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 January 19 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Wow you have been busy

I do have info re the children’s marriages - their daughter Margaret Aubrey married Daniel Roberts at Lammas Street independent chapel Carmarthen - they are my 3x great grandparents

I’ll need to check the info I have on my laptop & come back to you

I made a typo error yesterday - I’m unable to locate Joseph in 1861 not 1871 - with direct descendant is the actress Juliet Aubrey

Another daughter of William & Rachel is Ann - she married a John Jones & both are buried in Caersalem - I haven’t been able to trace them in 1861 either

Speak soon

Ruth

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 January 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

There are some Carmarthenshire missing records from the 1861 census, but from the list I have it doesn’t seem to include areas where you would expect then to be:

4131   Carmarthenshire   Llandilofawr   Llandilo (4)   Llandilofawr: Llandilo Town   M
4132   Carmarthenshire   Llandilofawr   Llandebie (5)   Llandebie   I
4133   Carmarthenshire   Llandilofawr   Llandebie (5)   Llandebie   I
4137   Carmarthenshire   Carmarthen   St Clear"s (2)   Laugharne   M
4137   Carmarthenshire   Carmarthen   St Clear"s (2)   Llansadurnen   M
4137   Carmarthenshire   Carmarthen   St Clear"s (2)   Llandawke   M
4137   Carmarthenshire   Carmarthen   St Clear"s (2)   St Clear"s   M
4138   Carmarthenshire   Carmarthen   St Clear\"s (2)   Llangunnock   I
4143   Carmarthenshire   Carmarthen   Conwil (4)   Llanllawddog   I
4143   Carmarthenshire   Carmarthen   Conwil (4)   Merthyr   I
4143   Carmarthenshire   Carmarthen   Conwil (4)   Abernan

Offline rmt11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 January 19 22:21 GMT (UK) »
The Aubreys also lived in Gwendraeth Row Pontyberem - I have looked for the address in 1861 & 1871 but no luck in finding Rachel & Joseph

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 January 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Happy to be proven otherwise but in 1851 I can only find 2 other William Aubrey/Awbrey born Wales around 1796, one was born Llanguick, Glamorgan b. Abt. 1795, who was still there in 1861, the other was born abt 1797, Shilbandchurch(?), Glamorgan, haven’t found him in 1861 yet. Both were ag./farm labourers not miners. Can anyone find any other likely candidates for the William who emigrated in 1852.

Offline rmt11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I’m looking at the links you sent me - I think you have identified my missing William 😃

So chuffed - BIG thank you - I need to go back to work - I’ll message you again tonight with my findings

William appears to be travelling with his eldest daughter Mary & her family - trees on ancestry indicate they went to Pennsylvania & then moved on to Williamsburg Iowa - Mum & I are also a DNA matches to 2 individuals who have their trees on ancestry who are shared matches with another proven Aubrey match!!!!

Over 25 years reaseach appears to be resolved

Speak soon

Ruth 😎

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
WOW that is a result, I'm impressed myself! Be delighted to have what information you have found. I'll PM you my email address as it's probably easier that way.

Roy