Author Topic: Irene WINN  (Read 1633 times)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irene WINN
« on: Thursday 04 May 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
The above was born approx. 1914 to William John WINN and Margaret SHANNON in Ontario. I am searching for marriage and death records but have drawn a blank. I think it is her that appears on two baby death records in 1930 and 1932 with the same father, Arthur WHITE, but his marital status is shown as single so they may never have married. Can anyone help?

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Irene WINN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
I think you may have misread the records. Single refers to the still born baby , not the father. I don't think the marriage will be available if it took place around 1930/32 - someone else will confirm I'm sure.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine
I see what you mean about single referring to the baby. What threw me was that the use of Irish. Does the child have the same origin as the father despite being born in Canada?

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
Peterborough Directories :  https://archive.org/details/peterboroughcitydirectories?&sort=-date&page=2

I looked at the 1932 directory (pdf format, and painfully slow to load) to compare the address of 260 McDonnel that you found on the baby death certificates.

pdf page 214:
White, Arthur F (Irene M) wvr Dom W&W h 260 McDonnel

pdf page 218
Winn, Florence T  ctr Albion King Co. 260 McDonnel
Winn, Madeline A opr 260 McDonnel
Winn, Nora, wks Knitters Ltd 260 McDonnel

Perhaps the above Winn names can help confirm your Irene was Arthur's wife.

(And yes, to your above question.  Racial origin was based on the father alone.  This is not the same as nationality, which would be Canadian)

Edit: The above is not the right Irene Winn. The death certificate for Irene Winn that married Arthur White and lived at 260 McDonnel (where the 1930 and 1932 baby death regs matched) and then in 1934 at 280 McDonnel died in 1934 with parents listed as John Winn and Mary Fitzpatrick.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
I see from a previous thread (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=427755.0) that you have the marriage of William and Margaret in Hamilton in 1911 as well as the census entry from that year. They are still in Wentworth County (Barton Twp) on the 1921 census with children Dorothy (9), Irene (6) and Harry (1). I've found entries in the the Canada Voters Lists from the 1940s for William (before and after Margaret's death), Dorothy and Harry in Hamilton.

The only possible entry for Irene Winn I've found was from the 1968 Canada Voters List in Hamilton. She was in a household with Wolf (retired) and Rachel Munitz and Mabel Kerr (widow). It indicates she was a kitchen worker.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the responses and confirming that the Winn/White combination is incorrect. Also thanks Jacquie for the info re Irene and also Harry. I found Dorothy's birth but couldn't find Irene's and of course I didn't know about Harry. Where did you find the births?
Thanks again.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 May 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
I didn't find births for Irene and Harry - just found them on the 1921 census.

You might want to contact the Hamilton Public Library to see if they could help finding death notices or obituaries. Hopefully there is something for Margaret since we at least have her death date.

In case you don't have the registration:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k25/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie
Yes I had the death notice but that provided another mystery. Her mother's name was given as Annie Crawford but her marriage record shows Mary Jane Handcock and I have traced the marriage of Andrew & Mary in 1886.
Do you need reader's tickets etc to get on to the public library records?
Regards
Mick

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Irene's birth in about 1915 would not yet be available online; rather, it is available on microfilm through the Ontario Archives or via interlibrary loan to your local library in Ontario.