Author Topic: Help with Doherty family Roscommon please  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Doherty family Roscommon please
« Reply #54 on: Friday 09 June 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi In 1911 he's a chip shop owner & on the 1939 he's a wardrobe dealer :) I sent manchester archives an email to find out if they have records of members, you can pay to get some research done but they say they have checked & can't find any mention of them. I'm sure I read they had the records.  ??? I haven't see the original census records just have information, he may have been able to read & write but from what I have read professional commercial travellers where middle class & I don't think he fits the bill. Also noticed that Mary was about 4/5 months pregnant when they married I did think something was a miss when I saw it was a registrar marriage. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 09 June 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
Is he a barman in 1901? I am hoping I have the right man.

He perhaps just made himself a bit more important on his marriage or was briefly a traveller selling goods.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 09 June 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
That's exactly how I feel, glad just not me. Just one more question with parts lol, if you don't mind & if you know anything about the Griffiths valuation. Only 1 came up for the Doherty family says printed 1847 was this when it was taken? Says Griffiths was from 1848 to 1864  ??? Is there more just me being stupid. Also gives maps to the land modern & old numbered but says in correlation to map but is this in correlation to house numbers as well  very????  Yes I think he was a barman because close to his brother Martin same job, thought he was a farm labourer at first with other family members but they were older than him which didn't fit as he was the eldest & wrong area. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 09 June 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
I can't access the site you must have which has maps but here is a list of Dohertys in Tibohine parish which includes Carrownaknockaun.
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/cgi-bin/lrgrifnew

This site - another one http://www.failteromhat.com/roscommon.php shows Griffiths dated 1857/8

This will be the same information you have and you can check the maps. Griffiths gives you the plot numbers.

If you mean the house numbers which are in censuses, these are not numbers as such. They are just the way the enumerator recorded the houses in the townland.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 09 June 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
That first link doesn't seem to work, sorry, but wherever you have Griffiths, search in Tibohine parish.

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 09 June 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Oh! thank you thought I was at a full stop. Too tried tonight, have grand childrend tomorrow so, you know how it goes. lol