Author Topic: Alexander Will  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Will
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 May 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
oops I misread sorry aghadowey
my dyslexia kicks in from time to time
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 May 17 01:07 BST (UK) »
No problems Radcliff. I thought I may have been wrong. Not living in the UK, most of the names are not associated with places in my mind.
Thanks for the tip about the death certificate - will follow that up. Thanks also for the newspaper article. Perhaps that is what the fellow from the other forum had seen since it mentions Alexander's mother as being a widow. It also confirms he served in WWI so I should be able to locate his service records.
I feel like I am making progress with all of your help - many thanks.

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 May 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Just looked at the Irish records and can see where you got your information, Radcliff. it does say he was 28 years at his death. My birth and death information came from findmypast - Royal irish Constabulary service records 1816-1922. The trouble is that there are appear to be many transcription errors - dates, names - when researching, although I'm sure I'm not telling anyone anything new there!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 May 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Not sure what you mean by following up death certificate- just click on the link (reply #7), follow the next 2 steps then view.

Alexander Will should appear in both 1901 and 1911 census- hopefully that will get you mother's name, father's name and any siblings.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 May 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
I did follow the link in Reply 7 and found the death record. When I searched for birth records, none appeared. How do you access the Census records? I am new to this. I assume that he doesn't appear on the Irish genealogy site for birth as he was born in Scotland? His death is there as he died in Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 May 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Scottish birth and census records available on Scotland's People site (pay per view). Ancestry (and perhaps Find My Past?) have transcriptions of 1901 census but 1911 only from Scotland's People. I did notice that there was an Alexander Will around the same age in Brechin so be careful when lookign for the one you want.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 May 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Aghadowey.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 May 17 08:43 BST (UK) »
The Weekly Irish Times of 17th July 1920, further adds that as he was a member of the Scottish Presbyterian church, then initially his remains were taken to Abbey Presbyterian Church in Dublin. A service was held at the church and attended by a large number of the constabulary and some military. His remains were then returned by steamer for interment in Aberdeen.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 May 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
That is great information. Thank you Scotmum.