Author Topic: LYONS/GREALY, Carrick, Roscommon  (Read 3138 times)

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LYONS/GREALY, Carrick, Roscommon
« on: Monday 08 May 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the information contained on the marriage certificate of my great-grandparents on my father's side – JOHN T. LYONS and MARGARET GREALLY who were married at Granlahan Catholic Church, County Roscommon on the 16th June 1866. John’s residence at the time was listed as Carrick and Margaret was listed as being from Rabbitboro. The marriage was performed by Fr. P. McLoughlin and John Greally was the groomsman with Mary Greally as bridesmaid. John Lyons was listed as aged 23 and Margaret was 20 years old. John’s father was named on the certificate as John Lyons and the father of the bride was named Bernard Greally, with an occupation of Tailor. The fact that John Lyons had John Greally as his groomsman could possibly mean he had no brother. Perhap's John was a brother of his new bride?
Counting back CIRCA 20 (born around 1846?) and 23  (born around 1843?) respective years on the freely available Kiltullagh parish births, I am unable to find either for those dates - although the written entries are hard to make out. Even allowing for incorrect ages on the cert, I have gone a year or two before and after but cannot find either of them, yet these records for Kiltullagh parish are complete and oneline in written form. Can anyone help, or are there online records available too.
Also was it normal to include the occupation of the father of the bride, as mentioned above.
Both Lyons and Greally were common names in the Carrick/Rabbitboro neighbourhoods at this time and there were many Lyons who were no doubt cousins living in close proximity to eachother.
Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LYONS/GREALY, Carrick, Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Have to Links so people can see/look?

Have you checked Civil Registers?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
A few observations-

... and John Greally was the groomsman with Mary Greally as bridesmaid.
These are the names of the two witnesses and it's unlikely the bride and groom had a wedding with attendants as we know it today.

Marriages usually took place in the bride's church so perhaps the groom was from outside the parish and you'll need to look further away for his baptism. If the groom was from outside the area then it would be a reason for both witnesses to be relatives of the bride. Remember also that the residence are where the bride and groom were living at the time and may not be where they were born or where their families lived.

Same family mentioned here (think last post might be yours)-
http://www.irelandxo.com/ireland/roscommon/kiltullagh/message-board/burke-and-graley
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
LINK to marriage details

LINK to details of at least six children
1867 Mary Civil Records Link
1869 Catherine Civil Records Link
1871 Margaret Civil Records Link
1873 John Civil Records Link
1875 Anne Civil Records Link
1877 Bernard Civil Records Link

If you look at their baptisms there are LYONS named as sponsors to help search LINK

There is a baptism in Kiltulla for John LYONS b Apr 17 1843
transcribed on rootsireland as baptism on Oct 10 1010 which makes finding the original ob the NLI church records very difficult!
Father John LYONS and mother Catherine DUFFY
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks My Luck,
1867 Mary Civil Records Link
1869 Catherine Civil Records Link
1871 Margaret Civil Records Link
1873 John Civil Records Link
1875 Anne Civil Records Link
1877 Bernard Civil Records Link
These are correct, the eldest Mary, being my grandmother.
The baptism for John Lyons Kiltullagh 17/4/1843 - is there a link for this?
I am hopeful this Catherine Duffy may be the missing name I have been searching for?
Do you think this refers to the townland of Kiltullagh or Carrick which is in the parish of Kiltullagh.

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey
Carrick and Rabbitboro are adjoining towlands.
My father's house was in Carrick and by walking across one field he could get to his grandmother's house in Rabbitboro.
So the baptism at this time would have been in Granlahan Church which was used before the church in Ballinlough was built.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 May 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
The baptism for John Lyons Kiltullagh 17/4/1843 - is there a link for this?
I am hopeful this Catherine Duffy may be the missing name I have been searching for?
Do you think this refers to the townland of Kiltullagh or Carrick which is in the parish of Kiltullagh.

There isn't a link as it was on the paid site rootsireland as a transcription

The parish was Kiltulla which is the same parish as the baptisms of John LYONS and Margaret GREALY's children; however I hadn't time to go through to find

The transcription stated parish of Killtulla
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks My Luck,

I had the baptism dates and the sponsors for the following links you got for me (below) but the actual downloads from your links gave the exact date of birth, which was great. I appreciate your help.

I was wondering however, how you got these. I have searched all available to me but can't get these sort of dowloads no matter what. As there are so many other bits I needs such as death of John Lyons and the cause of death, informant, etc. as he died very young in 1879.

The IrishGenealogy.ie site gives no links to downloads and in some cases a marriage without a spouse, or death without a place.

Thanks
GERRY

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks My Luck,

I had the baptism dates and the sponsors for the following links you got for me (below) but the actual downloads from your links gave the exact date of birth, which was great. I appreciate your help.

I was wondering however, how you got these. I have searched all available to me but can't get these sort of dowloads no matter what. As there are so many other bits I needs such as death of John Lyons and the cause of death, informant, etc. as he died very young in 1879.

The IrishGenealogy.ie site gives no links to downloads and in some cases a marriage without a spouse, or death without a place.

Thanks
GERRY

I used www.irishgenealogy.ie for links to the actual civil record pages
not all reocrds are online yet but I put a link to the ones that are
If the record is not online a photocopy can be purchased for €4

Further generations: