Author Topic: Ship Muster Rolls  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Muster Rolls
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 May 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Colleen,

Hmmmm. Looks as if you are going to have to go for the muster roll, though I would be inclined to try the log first. Were there many Negroes among the crew, do you know? It's just possible that he was up for discipline a few times depending on the biases of the officers and how hard he was being ragged by the seamen.

Another possibility is to try another, more marine-focussed forum such as The Mariners List
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/MarinersList.html

I do know that there are some dedicated Royal Navy researchers there who may be able to offer you better suggestions than I, my own line being merchant shipping.

And I apologize for using the "beginner" word yesterday. I hadn't taken in how high your post count is.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 May 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Westoe,

Firstly please don't apologise - I wasn't offended at all. In fairness, I am a beginner when it comes to this area!

From what I have read, there was only three negroes on board, but, of course like anything, we have to be skeptical about this information, although I have it on good authority that the muster roll for the Racehorse was correct, a few men were counted but fled at one port, so the first muster has 93 men, the second, 90.

I will check the link for the logs and thank you for your help!

Also, does anyone have any information on Lieutenant Michael Henry Pascal, particularly his movement prior to 1757?

Thanks

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 May 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
deleted

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 May 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
I just want to say that I have been following this thread and find it educational and fascinating. Although it is not necessarily related to this investigation I feel that anybody will find this
https://books.google.fr/books/about/The_Trial_of_the_Cannibal_Dog.html?id=j62v1iyuKqIC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y
Very interesting. I read the hard copy a few months ago and have never been so impressed by the referencing in piece of research and feel that it may be useful to anyone interested in the subject.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 May 17 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm. Looks as if you are going to have to go for the muster roll, though I would be inclined to try the log first.

While my sample size is admittedly low, from looking through the ship's books for two voyages of East Indiamen to the Far East I would say that the Ship's Log should not be your first priority.

I found the Logs to contain mainly:

Ship's position
Weather
Other vessels encountered.

Mentions of the crew were extremely infrequent and then only in the most general terms such as set the crew to swabbing the decks.  When the ship was anchored the Log is even more terse.

My ancestor left his first voyage at St Helena in unusual circumstances - according to him, at the particular request of the Governor of St Helena and his ship's Captain (as he possessed a trade in which the Island was then utterly deficient).  Going in I was sure the Log would mention this, but not a word was found.

The key source for crew information (at least in the East India Company context) is the Pay Book or Ledger of Wages.  This did mention his discharge at St Helena but no more than the fact and the date.  It also mentions the date of entering the ship and has various calculations regarding pay and levies/duties (things like purserage and Greenwich and Poplar Hospital Duties).  Also it states position in the ship - Sea(man), Sailmaker etc.

For these ships there weren't muster rolls such as might be found for an infantry unit.  There was a list of ship's company (from memory, loose leaves tucked inside the cover of the Log) which noted the man's position and those who had run or died of sickness and accident.  That list, the Pay Book and the Receipt Book for wages paid at discharge were all that reliably related to the crew.

The two voyages mentioned departed in 1803 and 1817.

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 May 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to obtain the muster rolls, ships logs etc. for BISN Co. ships from 1947 to 1956 ?
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Marg16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 November 18 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Colleen
You ask for details on Michael Henry Pascal. I was wondering if you know his birth and his parents.
Thanks
Marg16

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 November 18 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colleen,
   Here is a link to the downloadable digital edition of the book Westoe mentioned.  It is the journal of PHIPPS who commanded the expeditions of Racehorse and Carcass, titled  "The Voyage towards the North Pole" by John PHIPPS .

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL21667389M/A_voyage_towards_the_North_Pole

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland