Author Topic: Mystery Adoption  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Adoption
« on: Tuesday 09 May 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Good evening, I have an ancestor Elizabeth Gwladys Jones (1894) in Llanddona married Oscar Morgan (1894) in 1918 Llanrug. They had a "daughter" Elizabeth Joan Morgan, born 30th April 1923 in England that's all the information on the short birth certificate.  I also have a Certificate of Baptism in Penydarren, Llandaff dated 23rd October 1923, parents Oscar & Elizabeth Gwladys (Welsh spelling) of 15 Garden City, Oscar was a School Master & and the God Parents were David Edgar Morgan and Anne Elizabeth Jones (Elizabeth's mother).  Oscar & family moved to Irby, Oscar died and Elizabeth G went to live in Lorne St, Chester and in 1944 at Chester Juvenile Court in Chester, Elizabeth Gwladys Morgan (widow)  adopted Elizabeth Joan Morgan on the 8th May 1944.  On the 1st July Elizabeth G marries Wilfred Thomas Jones and lived and died in Narborough, Leicestershire, but she is buried with her 1st husband.  All these people are deceased.  I can't find Elizabeth Joan Morgan's GRO index I found one for Elizabeth Jane Morgan but her parents were David Norman Morgan and Bronwen Morgan (Thomas).  So if anyone can help me solve this problem I would be ever so grateful.  Elizabeth G did have 4 sisters - could one of them be Elizabeth Joan's mother?
Kind regards
Heather   :) :)
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Adoption
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
This seems a little strange if I've followed it correctly, as if Elizabeth Joan Morgan was born born 30th April 1923 and adopted 8th May 1944, she would have been over 21 so not a juvenile.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
That's correct I have spoken to an Advisor at the Adoption Centre and they have assured me that a birth mother can not adopt her own child.  I can't find Elizabeth Joan Morgan's GRO index - there must be one as I have the short birth cert - really strange.
regards
Heather
 :)
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
If she was adopted, would her original birth registration be removed from the register? Did the people you spoke to explain how a 21 year old could be adopted?

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
no her original birth cert will still be there they told me that a natural birth mother cannot adopt her own child
Heather  :)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
no her original birth cert will still be there they told me that a natural birth mother cannot adopt her own child
Heather  :)

I understand that, but it doesn't explain how a 21 year old adult was adopted.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Heath

You mention you have the short form birth cert.

If this was an adoption cert there should be a reference number in the top right or bottom left in the format XXX/XXXXX

Does your certificate have that number?

What is the registration date on the short form, not the date of birth?

There is a GRO birth index and a completely separet GRO adopted childrens index. Unless you know both names before and after adoption, you cannot link the two together.

If the child was adopted into the family, her name at birth might not be that on the short form cert.

As to baptism, maybe they went through the ceremony as if she really was their birth child.

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
I'm probably reading this wrong but an adult can't be adopted. She could be taken in by a family so 'adopted' in that way.
Did Elizabeth Joan Morgan have a child of the same name in 1944 ?

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
" Elizabeth G did have 4 sisters - could one of them be Elizabeth Joan's mother?"

If it was one of her sisters child, she would be registered has Jones and not Morgan.

Margp   
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich