Author Topic: Eliza Green b 1844 Mellis  (Read 1183 times)

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Green b 1844 Mellis
« on: Friday 12 May 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm stuck and would really appreciate some help.

I am looking for the birth or christening record for Eliza Green, my direct relation.  I have her marriage certificate from the GRO that shows her father as David Green and at the time of her marriage on February 25, 1862, she was living in Thrandeston and married in the Thrandeston Parish Church.  It shows Eliza as 18 years old, for a year of birth as 1844 which corresponds with what's reported on later census'.

I believe that her mother is Eliza Burrows, christened in Burgate on 20 Oct 1822, who  married David Green in  Oct Nov Dec quarter 1841, BMD index Hartismere district, volume 13, page 1005. 

Eliza had two older brothers, David b. 1842 and Charles 1843.  Christening records are on Family Search with mothers maiden name Burrows. The one for David just gives Suffolk as a location whereas on Charles, the christening location is Mellis. Next is Eliza whose record I'm searching for. After that there are two other children, Elijah and John.  The family is found in the census for 1851 for Mellis, Suffolk.

I can't seem to find any of the children in the GRO database.  I've tried under Green and Burrows, searching without a first name, searching as exact matches as well as the other options. They must be there! 

Searches on Freereg, Freebmd, and Ancestry haven't turned up anything. 

I'll work on it for a while then put everything away and then try again another month.  Nothing new turns up. 

Have I missed the record or a step?  Thanks for looking this over.  Marion

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Green b 1844 Mellis
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 17 07:00 BST (UK) »

I can't seem to find any of the children in the GRO database.  I've tried under Green and Burrows, searching without a first name, searching as exact matches as well as the other options. They must be there! 

Although registration started in 1837 not all births were registered.  It was not until the 1870's that the parents were made responsible for registering their children and the system was tightened up.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,

You're right, I'd forgotten about it being enforced later, so I won't spend on the BMD records.

Thank you. Marion

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 May 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Do you know that you can now search the G.R.O index with mothers maiden name from 1837 on their website :-\

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 17 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,

Yes, tried MMN in every spelling variation I could think of :)  No luck, so I think I'll abandon that..

I was looking at the Suffolk Family History website.  The parish registers are probably the only avenue left.  It's a bit costly to buy the CD (converting to Canadian dollars) covering the year she was apparently born in, but maybe I can pay for a look up.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I appreciate your time.  Marion

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't offer any more help with this

Rosie

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,

Thank you for reviewing this with me.  I did contact the Suffolk Family History Society and they were kind enough to check their registers and Eliza isn't listed.  Oddly, her older and younger siblings are.  Maybe her entry was missed going into the register or her parents just didn't get her baptised.  I'll never know.  Thanks again. Marion