Author Topic: Female student in 1851? Gibson/Stronner St Vigeans.  (Read 6139 times)

Offline StrangeLittleGirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Female student in 1851? Gibson/Stronner St Vigeans.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Someone once told me that Stronner was derived from the profession of slater. no idea if it's true or not though.

Vikki
Angus - Arbroath/St Vigeans/Dundee
Stronner
Mitchell
Bowman
Proctor
Gibson

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill, thanks for your reply. I've been concentrating on the Stronners for way too long to be honest! Around 1000 people in my tree but these ones are the people I seem to keep coming back to.

I've found a few new people (spouses, children etc) just very recently, so I'm back on their trail again. I've not tied mine to the branch from outside of the Arbroath area just yet, but I'm hoping I can. I'll try to get their details posted here soon in the hope that we can possibly tie them together.

Vikki

I do have an urge to keep going back to my branch. It's still a relatively uncommon name today from what I can find. It's my next project so to speak. May see what I can find later.

Out of interest how far back have you got with your Stronners? I do notice there were a few in Dundee, but can't establish a link yet.

I wonder if anyone has access to George F. Black's book 'The Surnames of Scotland: Their Origin, Meaning and History'. I've found some interesting info about a surname in my tree (Cloudsley) from a snippet I found online from this book.
I have a (rather batteredand rapidly disintergrating) copy. It says nothing about Stron(n)er but Black says that Strono may be a version of Stronach, an Aberdeenshire surname which is probably from the Gaelic 'sron', meaning 'nose', which is often anglicised as 'strone'.

I see that Black thinks that Cloudsley is of English origin, from Cloudesley in Sussex.

Ah that's helpful, many thanks. It could stem from that. It could well be a corruption of Stronach/Strone in the area. From what I am aware, Gaelic wasn't spoken much in this area (Inverkeilor) around 1780 onwards? I may be wrong though.

I have seen that reference from Black's book re: Cloudsley before (online). I do agree that it appears English. From my own research of the name, they appear to stem from Montrose initially around 1600. On searching SP for baptisms (bearing in mind most records will be missing from this time and/or damaged) and there are about 3 different Cloudsley men in the area having children in the early 1600s. My feeling is that they are related, perhaps brothers who came to the area for work in imports/exports (I think there is mention of this online and in Black's book) from probably England.

I have seen another reference to the name being from Cloudsley Farm in Warwickshire, could be either.

There is also a Charity in London named after a Richard Cloudsley. Here is some brief background.

http://www.cloudesley.org.uk/500-years/history/

I have seen quite a lot of Cloudsleys in the London area in various sources online.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Ah that's helpful, many thanks. It could stem from that. It could well be a corruption of Stronach/Strone in the area. From what I am aware, Gaelic wasn't spoken much in this area (Inverkeilor) around 1780 onwards? I may be wrong though.
No, Gaelic wasn't spoken around Inverkeilor then, but a lot of the place names are much older than that and have obvious Gaelic elements ('inver' in Inverkeilor, 'aber' in Aberbrothock->Arbroath, 'kin' in Kinblethmont, 'achadh' in Auchmithie, are just a few that spring to mind).

If Stron(n)er is from 'sron' via Stronach, it comes from further north, in Aberdeenshire, where Gaelic was spoken in several areas into the 19th century, or so I am given to understand.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian for the Geograph site links. I find myself travelling through these places now noticing place names or farms that appear in my family tree on various signs.

Re: Stron(n)er/Stronach etc

Stronner is certainly one of those names that just 'appears' with no real history behind it. This does lead me to believe that it is a corruption or an Anglicisation of Stronach. I've also seen on the Clan Cameron site that Stronach is actually a Sept of the Clan. This could mean a number of things. Clan Cameron were largely Jacobites. Given the events after Culloden and how Gaelic was effectively banned, I can see how an Anglicisation of Stronach may have occured.

Jill.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
I've also seen on the Clan Cameron site that Stronach is actually a Sept of the Clan. This could mean a number of things.
Yes.

In particular it means, "There were some people surnamed Stronach who were attached to Clan Cameron", and it does not mean, "All people called Stronach are descended from Clan Cameron".

Unfortunately the Brigadoon industry, and large numbers of other people who ought to know better, seem to believe the second interpretation, not the first, for any given combination of surname and clan name.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill, I've got back to the mid 1700s with mine.
Stronner
Mitchell
Bowman
Proctor
Gibson

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 July 17 05:10 BST (UK) »
Update for anyone researching the Stronner families in Angus.

Unfortunately I just can't seem to find anything regarding my branch. Nothing on who Elizabeth's siblings married, when they died, anything really.

Quite frustrating as there are some interesting Stronner characters in the 1800s and I'd have liked to prove or disprove a link.

I will keep at it and see if I can scrape a segment of info from somewhere. I'm more interested in Elizabeth's brothers for now since the name passes down the male side.

This one is a bit of a slog, but just thought I'd update you all for now.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 07 July 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi. I know how frustrating this can be. I'll have a look at the dates etc you mentioned and see if I can help in any way through my branch of the family.

Vikki
Stronner
Mitchell
Bowman
Proctor
Gibson