Author Topic: Sylvester Nethersole of Barham  (Read 2142 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sylvester Nethersole of Barham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 June 19 21:40 BST (UK) »
Fascinating to read this will extract as I am currently building a pedigree for Nethersole and I have that Sylvester (dau. of Thomas Ladd of Barham) married a Nethersole (slight confusion as to which one, but I think Vincent as his 2nd wife) and had:

1/ John Nethersole (1546-1627) who m. 1581 Peregryne Wylforde of Nonnington
2/ Alexander Netherole (living 1596)
3/ Christopher Nethersole, gent., of Dover (will 1596, pr.1597)
4/ Vyncent Nethersole of Wimingswould (living 1596) who m. Elizabeth Denne of Kingston
5/ Afra or Aphra who m. 1584 Francis Rickarde, gent. of Barham and/or Postling
6/ Amye who m. 1576 Andrew Smythest of Buckland
7/ Mary who m. Thomas Mundye
8/ Sara who m. Francis Burden, gent. of Dover

I also have a Steven Nethersole (who I suspect is a cousin of the above children, but I am not sure how) who m. 1583 at Barham Elizabeth Longe.

I can take this Nethersole pedigree backwards and forwards in time and should be pleased to compare notes if you are on the same journey.

Many thanks,
Caspar

Hi Caspar

Vincent Nethersole of Wymingswold (or Wymynswold) who married Elizabeth Denne is my direct ancestor.

Like you I have quite a lot of info on the Nethersoles taking them back several generations. There were several marriages between the Nethersole and Denne families with cousins marrying cousins at various points.

I would be happy to share the info I have on the Nethersoles (and the Dennes if you like). I don't have my notes on these families to hand at the moment but if you pm me with your email address I can send you my notes on them and a copy of the [rather large] Nethersole tree I have for you to look at.

I look forward to hearing from you and comparing notes and seeing how much further we can get with this family - they are a very interesting family.

Best Wishes

Matthew

Offline escudier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 December 19 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mathew and Casper - like you I also descend from Vincent Nethersole (s/o Vincent Nethersole & 2nd wife Sylvester Ladd) & his cousin Elizabeth Denne (d/o Vincent Denne & Johane Kettell) of Kingston and Womenswold etc, Kent. I have only just arrived at this point in my tree, via Vincent Nethersole's daughter Alice Nethersole (1598-1650) who married Michael Denne, their daughter Elizabeth Denn married Vincent Billinghurst, whose daughter Elizabeth Billinghurst married William Stroud (the rest is history). It would great to link up and share research - I am presently in contact with the Person who has the One Name Study Nethersole under her wing. Merry Christmas too!. Jeremy Stroud

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 December 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mathew and Casper - like you I also descend from Vincent Nethersole (s/o Vincent Nethersole & 2nd wife Sylvester Ladd) & his cousin Elizabeth Denne (d/o Vincent Denne & Johane Kettell) of Kingston and Womenswold etc, Kent. I have only just arrived at this point in my tree, via Vincent Nethersole's daughter Alice Nethersole (1598-1650) who married Michael Denne, their daughter Elizabeth Denn married Vincent Billinghurst, whose daughter Elizabeth Billinghurst married William Stroud (the rest is history). It would great to link up and share research - I am presently in contact with the Person who has the One Name Study Nethersole under her wing. Merry Christmas too!. Jeremy Stroud

Hi Jeremy

Happy Christmas to you. Your message made interesting reading for me as I am also descended from Elizabeth Denn and Vincent Billinghurst. Their daughter Ann Billinghurst married Henry Blanchett [sometimes spelt Branchett, and occasionally written/misspelt as "Blanckett"].

Let me know if you need any more info on the Denn or Billinghurst lines.

I'm hoping to get further with the Nethersole and Denn lines in the new year myself.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 December 19 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeremy & Matt,

I'm a bit late for Christmas, so wishing you both a very successful 2020.

I am a bit of a genealogical butterfly and so have been off down other avenues, however I am still keen to get these Nethersoles straight.

I have built quite a Nethersole pedigree, but I have several portions that I am unsure about how to connect and unsure about the evidence to join them (although they clearly should join).

My link is via the Nethersoles of Charing in Kent, but just how is still unclear and how they then join to the main line at Wimingswold & Barham.

I shall look forward to hearing more.

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 December 19 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeremy & Matt,

I am a bit of a genealogical butterfly and so have been off down other avenues, however I am still keen to get these Nethersoles straight.

I have built quite a Nethersole pedigree, but I have several portions that I am unsure about how to connect and unsure about the evidence to join them (although they clearly should join).

My link is via the Nethersoles of Charing in Kent, but just how is still unclear and how they then join to the main line at Wimingswold & Barham.

Many thanks,
Caspar

Hi Caspar

I think I may be able to help. The Nethersoles, along with the related families of Denne and Austen, were quite extensive and widespread in Kent especially in the Womenswold [Wimingswold/Wymynswold/Wymensweld], Barham and Kingston areas. I am pretty sure that those in Charing were cousins of the main branch who were based in the Womenswold area.

I have two family trees for the Nethersoles, one focusing on my main branch only, and a second one looking at all branches of the family. I am fairly sure that there is a connection to Charing on that. I will see if I can find any more info for you.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 December 19 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeremy & Matt,

Many thanks,
Caspar

Hi Casper

What dates do you have for your Charing based Nethersoles? I can't see a link on the tree I have so far, but I do have several Wills for different branches of the family so if I know when your lot were around I may be able to find a connection.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 December 19 13:04 GMT (UK) »
So my immediate connection is William Nethersole who was buried at St. Margaret's, Canterbury before 1761. He was a lieutenant of the marines and was supposedly from the Charing branch. He married 24/10/1722 to Frances, dau. of Thomas Pierce of Hansletts and heir of her brother. They had at least 4 sons and 3 daughters.

Now it is possible that the above William was the son of another William Nethersole, gent., of Charing who was born c.1670 and died 1731 and was buried at Charing. He married in 1694 at Charing to Philadelphia (1673-1717), dau. of Christopher Dering of Wickins who was a cadet of the Dering family of Surrenden. I have 6 sons from this marriage (including one named Heneage Nethersole who died a baby in 1716) plus 2 possible daughters, all apparently baptised at Charing.

I do hope that the above details will help and look forward to hearing more.

You might also be able to help with more substantive evidence for the connections with the Barham branch to the main family.

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline escudier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 January 20 08:41 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Matt - I saw posts where you discuss (parts of) the wills of Thomas Denne 1542 and William Naishe 14?? and John A'Denne also 15th C - I can't find them anywhere - can you help me?
- I would like to have go at transcribing them if that hasn't already been done properly/fully.

Also the will of John Tufton 1567 should mention Thomas Denne sneior - do you know where that will can be found?

Many thanks, Jeremy

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 January 20 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt - I saw posts where you discuss (parts of) the wills of Thomas Denne 1542 and William Naishe 14?? and John A'Denne also 15th C - I can't find them anywhere - can you help me?
- I would like to have go at transcribing them if that hasn't already been done properly/fully.

Also the will of John Tufton 1567 should mention Thomas Denne sneior - do you know where that will can be found?

Many thanks, Jeremy

Hi

Yes happy to share info. I've sent you a pm with a few more details.

Matt