Author Topic: Hurley Family from Tramore  (Read 1336 times)

Offline JGBC

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hurley Family from Tramore
« on: Sunday 14 May 17 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hello!

OVERVIW
My ancestor, Matthew Hurley was born in about 1819 in Tramore, Waterford Ireland. He came with his parents and brothers to Hemmingfor Canada in about 1849.  He married and had a few children there, then his family and that of one of his brothers moved to Waukesha county Wisconsin in 1860/1 his father having died in Hemmingfor Canada in 1858 and his mother may have gone with them to Wisconsin dying shortly thereafter. Matthew died in 1893 in Wisconsin. His wife Bridget Foley died there in 1908.

FAMILY AND KNOWN TIES
***PARENTS: Matthews parents were John Hurley and Mary Carney/Kearny. Both came to North America. See the above.
***SIBLINGS: Matthew had several brothers. There are a few that may have been his brothers, some that are without question his brothers etc. Here is the breakdown with very basic info.

Patrick? (possible) was a little over a decade older than Matthew
William (definate sibling. 100% sure) was around 5-6 years Matthew's senior. Came to WI too where he died in 1897.
Matthew born 1819
John Hurley (I am almost positive but would like more proof that is brother) was born around 1822. Died in Bennington VT in 1902.
James Hurley (definite sibling. 100% sure) was born in 1826. Died in Hemmingfor QC in 1913. **See notes below

If anyone thinks they may know of this family, I have a ton of more detailed info on the above-mentioned persons.

The family intermarried several times with the Power Down and Foley families in Canada and the US. They came over together and all hailed from either Tramore or Killea.

WHAT I HAVE FOUND AND AM TRYING TO FIND IN IRELAND
I purchased a 1 month subscription to rootsireland.ie a while back and found it to be rather helpful.
I found the baptismal record of my ancestors Matthews brother James. It was from Tramore and he was baptised on 10 Dec 1826. The parents are given as John Hurley and Mary Kearny/Kearney.  (In all Canadian records she is Carney). This was a HUGE find for me.  Unfortunately, I am unable to find the baptisms for any other of John and Mary's children -- including Matthew. I cannot find John and Mary's marriage either. I have gone through the registers manually at the NLI site several time page by page with absolutely no luck in finding any other children.  James is the youngest, and his is the only record I can find on my family in Ireland whatsoever. I'd love anything I can find on them other than this one record in Ireland.

ANY tips or information on this family would be greatly appreciated. It is a serious brick wall for me, and has driven me nuts for some time!

Thank you!

Jeremy G. BC in Southern California

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley Family from Tramore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 17 12:29 BST (UK) »

I cannot find John and Mary's marriage either.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church which may have been in a different parish. I note that Killea has a gap in its marriage records from 1820 – 1837. St John’s which is also adjacent has gaps too. Dunhill & Fenor doesn’t have any marriages prior to 1836. So one possible explanation is that the marriage took place in one of those parishes and the marriage record is lost. Another factor is that some records are illegible, and so have not been transcribed.

If it’s any consolation to you, marriage records from that period contain very little information. Usually just the couples names, the date and the 2 witnesses names. No parents names, townlands or other useful information.

You can see what records exist and where there are gaps, using this site:

https://www.johngrenham.com/browse/counties/rcmaps/waterfordrc.php#maps/

Elwyn