Author Topic: Newspaper lookup for Abingdon area  (Read 812 times)

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Newspaper lookup for Abingdon area
« on: Sunday 14 May 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
Newspaper lookup for death of Richard STEVENS in Oct/Nov/Dec 1881 Abingdon, Berkshire, England. Born c 1801,occupation Boat Builder. Wife Sarah nee ACKLING (married in 1823).

Trying to confirm that William STEVENS born c 1829 in Abingdon,was the same William who came to South Australia before 1849.(my GGGrandfather)

I know that there are trees with William listed with this parentage but I would like to confirm this. If I was able to get a newspaper notice of Richard’s death,maybe it may list his children’s names,eg saying that son William was in Australia.

Thankyou for any help
Docking,Ettridge/Etheridge, Feltus (Ireland),Fuge,
Sisman/Sissman (Sawtry,Hunt,Eng),Stevens (Lochiel/Crystal Brook,SA) ,
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Families to South Australia

Offline PamberG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper lookup for Abingdon area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately no reports in any papers currently in the British newspaper archive.

I have found three baptisms at St Nicholas in Abingdon to Richard a boatbuilder & Sarah between 1827 & 1834. These are Susanna on 15 July 1827, William on 18 May 1829 & Ann on 20 March 1834. I think there are some later ones but unfortunately I have not got access to any baptisms after 1835.

It looks as though Richard's wife Sarah died 1864. There is a burial at St Helens in Abingdon on 16 June 1864 of Sarah Stevens aged 62 of New Cut Wharf. In the 1861 census the family was recorded at St Helens Wharf in Abingdon so this looks very likely to be the correct person. There is also a burial at St Helens on 24 May 1829 of William Stevens an infant. So this looks as though it might well be the son baptized in 1829, no other likely looking baptism. Unfortunately I cannot confirm the burial of Richard at this site as I have no access to burials after 1869.

Hope this helps.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper lookup for Abingdon area
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
The Richard Stevens occ Boatbuilder is in Abingdon in 1841 with Sarah and children
Elizabeth 15
Susan 13
Ann 7
Emma 5
James 3
Charles 2 months

but No William who would have been 11.   ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk