Author Topic: Lintrathen Parish  (Read 5142 times)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
Lintrathen Parish
« on: Monday 15 May 17 05:54 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the place "Tillaysoue" as appears in the following 1785 Baptism entry from the registers of the Parish of Lintrathen.

Can anyone help me please?

Regards
Grantley

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lintrathen Parish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Grantley, there is a place of the same name on the back road between Dingwall & Evanton, in Ross-shire,  the Tallysow, it means a kind of inn or soldiers billet.

Skoosh.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Skoosh, as Elspeth was Thomas's servant, do you think this implies he might have been an Innkeeper or soldier?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 May 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census there are two households at Tillysoul, which is almost certainly your Tillaysoue.

It is listed in the same enumeration distict as Inzion, Wetrisk, Strone, Purgavie, Foldend, Pitmudie, Schoolhouse, Bridgend, Manse, Cothelhill, Kinnaird  and Shannally, all of which can be found (with occasional spelling variations) on the First Edition of the six-inch Ordnance Survey map.

See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=56.6844&lon=-3.1643&layers=5&b=1 - you can move it around, zoom in and out, and compare then and now by sliding the blue button in the menu box on the left.

This enumeration district is roughly north and east of the Loch of Lintrathen.

Tillysoul is listed in the census between Inzion and Pitmudie. So it is reasonable to suppose that it was somewhere a mile or two north of the loch, and north of the Melgam Water.

I see that the map shows some unnamed buildings along a track north from Inzion. These could be outbuildings or cottarhouses on Inzion, but it is just possible that one of them might be Tillysoul. On the other hand, I see that the large complex of buildings that made up Inzion in the mid-19th century has vanished, and the name Inzion is now applied to these outlying cottages. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NO2756

Most or all of this area belonged to the Earl of Airlie. There could be something of relevance in the Airlie papers in the National Records of Scotland. See http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/scancatalogue/details.aspx?reference=GB234%2fGD16&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=y&tp=n&k=airlie&ko=o&r=&ro=s&

Probably nothing to do with this query, but there are some wonderful place names in the 1841 census that now seem to be lost, including Tipperwhig and Drumlygob!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Ye certainly know your Inzions FF. ;D

Skoosh.

P.S found this, Tallysow = tillet de soulds, soldiers billets, French.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 May 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Tillysoul doesn't seem to appear anywhere on Scotland's Places.

I can find plenty regarding neighbouring places such as Inzion and Pitmudie. It must've been near to these places given what Forfarian found in the 1841 censuses.

I've found some information regarding these two places on Scotland's Places here:

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/forfarshire-angus-os-name-books-1857-1861/forfar-angus-volume-62/60

However this is from the 1850s with no record of Tillysoul at all. This indicates to me that the 'Solider's Billets' or 'Inn' have all but long disappeared by this time.

However, you can see from the link above that the lands were owned by the Earl of Airlie. Other than that I can find nothing regarding Tillysoul on Google (other than non-related places elsewhere), NLS maps and Scotland's Places. We know it existed in 1841 with the census entries. The occupations of the residents there was ag labs. So as a guess these were probably very small cottages given the occupations.

I've tried to find the same place on the 1851 census to no avail, this indicates that the location has completely gone. Given the time period it could perhaps be something to do with the way farming changed in the 1840s? We know about the Highland Clearances when farm workers were moved off the land to make way for sheep which were more profitable. Perhaps this is why Tillysoul is gone now?

It's hard to garner if the person in question was an innkeeper or soldier. It would depend on when the use of the building changed. As we can see it was housing ag labs in 1841. Not an easy one.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
There is no mention of it on this rather nice 1794 Ainslie map:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400188

"Lentrathan" is along bottom edge just to the right of centre.

There are probably more detailed maps available but I can't seem to find one, and have lost a couple of good ones I used to have in my 'favourites'.  :(

I believe Ainslie produced one in 1788 which looks to name farmsteads and other features, however I don't think this is available online. (I only saw a snippet and couldn't find the full map).

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:06 BST (UK) »

There are probably more detailed maps available but I can't seem to find one, and have lost a couple of good ones I used to have in my 'favourites'.  :(

I believe Ainslie produced one in 1788 which looks to name farmsteads and other features, however I don't think this is available online. (I only saw a snippet and couldn't find the full map).

I tried those too, sadly it doesn't seem to name smaller farmsteads etc. It even has a small estate that I know existed in the 1770s missing in Perthshire.

It's a pity the 1788 map isn't available online.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 May 17 16:10 BST (UK) »

This is totally irrelevant to the OPs question but I've just noticed that they have 'Inzion' down as 'Onion' on the map.  ;D ;D ;D

The Scotland's Places link that I linked in my earlier post did say that an alternative name for Inzion was Onion.
 ;D ;D
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie