Author Topic: Lintrathen Parish  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lintrathen Parish
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
I will be definitely seeking out a Forfar Bridie when/if next I am in the area!  :)

It is fascinating to see the old place names, and sad to see that so many of the places have disappeared over the centuries.

A few years ago I came across one or two old maps (from the 1700s if I recall correctly) which, as I mentioned in my last post, had a lot of detail, even including farmsteads - I remember being thrilled to find one relating to my Brother in Law's family. I am presuming it was an NLS map, but I can't for the life of me find it. It is possible there were only these very detailed maps of a couple of counties rather than all of Scotland.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of any such maps that they are aware of?  :)

Added: a section of the 1788 Ainslie map I referred to can be seen here:
http://bonniewilliam.com/generations/scottish-roots-aussie-beginnings-2/
Upon second look, it is not as detailed as I thought, and not as detailed as others I've seen.  :-\

I have access to another map site called Digimap through an educational account, I'll see what I can find with the different maps there and let you guys know.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
PS: Living in South Australia, influenced by the Cornish, I only know of a pastie with potato & onion.
Ah, you haven't lived if you have only come across a Cornish pasty  ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 03:32 BST (UK) »
A proper self-respecting Forfar bridie has shortcrust pastry and definitely no tatties.

And...would you believe, the worst tasting 'Forfar Bridie' I ever had was from a Baker's in Forfar!!!

Don't ask me the name of the shop as it was 15 - 20 yrs ago  ::)

Not relevant to the topic but....
Just to add to the pronunciation of Inzion being Onion (for non Scots etc) but it would be similar to the surname of Menzies being pronounced as Minges/Mingus...'z' as a 'g'.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 04:42 BST (UK) »
I love to be told the correct pronunciations of place names in the UK, especially from a local.  :)

I wish you hadn't mentioned bridies - now I have a craving for one. I think I will have to find a recipe as I don't think there are any authentic bridie bakers in my neck of the woods.  :'(

Added: I found some recipes.  ;) They look to be a circle of pastry halved - traditionally what would the diameter of the circle be, or doesn't it matter? Also, what should it be served with, if anything?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 04:57 BST (UK) »

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 05:03 BST (UK) »
Added: I found some recipes.  ;) They look to be a circle of pastry halved - traditionally what would the diameter of the circle be, or doesn't it matter? Also, what should it be served with, if anything?

I would say roughly 6 - 8 inches (15 - 20cm)

My personal liking is with mashed potatoes (with butter & milk) & marrowfat peas & my favourite...a few bits of sliced beetroot....my mouth is watering now too  ;D

Annie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 05:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie.  :)

But. The recipe in your link says to use lamb mince and a BBC one I read says beef mince. Which is it?  ;D

Sorry to hijack your thread Grantley.  ;)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 05:15 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

I believe it's actually steak (minced)

Annie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Annie.  :)