Author Topic: looking for crew list  (Read 5525 times)

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for crew list
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 June 17 06:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Seaweed. I've already found these informations. Unfortunately there's nothing available on line concerning the years 1884 for Saga and 1887 for Longfellow and as I live in France, visiting Kew is a little bit..... complicated  :-\

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 June 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
No worries. I will be at TNA Kew sometime this month. If I get time and if you so wish, I will take a look for you. Have you any idea of the dates he was aboard LONGFELLOW.
Just PM me around the 16th June to jog the memory.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 June 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Ho yes I wish you will take a look for me !!!! If you get time of course :)
Charles Wilfred Paris was aboard Longfellow on november 1887, en-route from Bordeaux (or near) to Cardiff.
And on barque Saga in june 1884 when in Valparaiso.
Thank you very much seaweed.

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 June 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Corinne,

The tips that you have been sent in previous posts regarding your great-great-grandfather having been born in Mauritius all look to be good.

I say this because, following through on Seaweed's invaluable link in respect of the Saga in 1884, I have just come across the most delightful record.

I say delightful because, as you will see from the following link for the Snow Queen in 1881, this record not only has Charles W Paris (age 25 of Mauritius) in the crew list but alongside him is listed Clarissa Paris (age 27 of France).

See: https://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/viewcrew1881.php?Record_ID=212755&CrewListPage=2&page=4

I have separately also found quite a bit more online pertaining to your great-great-grandfather. I am still putting this in order and I will post it over the next couple of days.

Willyam

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 June 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Nice find Willyam.
Can you make out the name of Charles Paris's previous ship, also the rank/job title of Clairissa. To find a women listed on a Crew Agreement of a 19th century sailing ship is unusual to say the least.
frenchcoco, only the 1887 Crew Agreements of LONGFELLOW is available from Kew. The 1884 C/A's of SAGA are at MHA in Newfoundland.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 June 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Willyam !!!!! I'm really happy. It's the first time that I see the name of my great-great-grandparents written somewhere !!! You can not image what I'm feeling. I've been looking for them for so many years ! Of course with a false idea at the beginning (that they were both french...), I can't go far :-[. I was thinking that they came from space !
I'm waiting for your next post.
Corinne

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 June 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
Corrine,

Here is a summary of what is known about your great-great-grandfather Charles Wilfred Paris.

1855 He was born in Port Louis in Mauritius. If you are thinking of trying to establish his exact date of birth the following link may be helpful to you - unless other Rootschatters can advise otherwise.
http://news.rootsweb.com/th/read/AFR-MAURITIUS/2004-07/1091214998

1875 He is listed as a member of the crew of the ship “Mary Ann” which arrived in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia from Mauritius on 14 March. His age is given as 19 and his crew status is that of Boy. (source: image in Ancestry)

1878 He is listed as a member of the crew of the barque “Cyprus”, which departed St John, New Brunswick, Canada on 22 September & arrived in London, England on 1 July 1879. His age is given as 25 and his crew status is that of Able-bodied Seaman. (source: transcription in Ancestry; original document with the Maritime History Archive [MHA] in Newfoundland)

1879 In December of this year he enlisted in the US Navy (source: image in FamilySearch - see this link: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-8S2G-3?mode=g&i=294&cc=1825347)

1880 On 19 February Charles Wilford Paris was admitted to a US Naval Hospital with a diagnosis of Synovitis (source: image in Ancestry)

1881 He is listed, in the company of his wife, as a member of the crew of the “Snow Queen” (see this link: https://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/viewcrew1881.php?Record_ID=212755&CrewListPage=2&page=4)

1884 Your great-grandfather is born on the barque “Saga”. Incidentally this vessel was registered at Pictou, Nova Scotia (rather than Picton).

1887 As the result of an incident on the barque “Longfellow”, he is charged with, and cleared of, manslaughter.

1891 In the census for this year he is a Boarder at 165 Bute Street, Cardiff. His age is given as 35 and his occupation is recorded as that of Steamship Stoker.

1892 On 10 December he married Elizabeth Ann Coggan in Cardiff. His signature on the marriage record is compatible with his signature on the “Snow Queen” crew agreement. (source: image in Findmypast)

1896 In July he had a reported confrontation with a gunman - who may have been a wanted murderer.

1901 There is no trace of him in the census for this year.

1905 & 1906 He is listed as a member of the crew of the SS “Monsaldale”. His crew status is that of Donkeyman and, most notably, his surname is recorded as Parris. (source: transcriptions in Findmypast)

1911 There is no trace of him in the census for this year.

1915 He is listed (under the surname of Parris) as a member of the crew of the the ship “Euterpe” (source: http://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/crew-member?crew_member_search%5BlastName%5D=parris&crew_member_search%5BfirstName%5D=&crew_member_search%5BvesselName%5D=&crew_member_search%5Bcapacity%5D=&crew_member_search%5BbirthPlace%5D=mauritius&crew_member_search%5Bsubmit%5D=)

1918 He is awarded a Merchant Navy war service medal (see this link: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8078020) - again under the surname of Parris.

1918 On 14 August he is listed as a passenger arriving in New York on the “Empress of Britain”. The image of the passenger list shows that he was “in transit”, in the company of other seamen en route to Montreal to crew an unnamed steamer. His next-of-kin is named as his wife, Mrs E Parris of 26 Oakley Street, Cardiff. As his ticket was paid for by the “Ministry of Shipping” this suggests that the unnamed steamer was a British ship and that he will be on another crew list somewhere.

This latter journey from Montreal may have been amongst the last of his many voyages because……..

1923 There is a death registered in Cardiff (in the January/February/March quarter) for a Charles Parris,- aged 67. The GRO references are: volume 11A & page 494.

I still have a little more information relating to your great-great-grandfather and I plan to post this separately & soon.

Willyam

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 June 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Corinne,

As previously mentioned, your great-great-grandfather married Elizabeth Ann Coggan in Cardiff on 10 December 1892.

Knowing this, I subsequently searched the records for any children born of this marriage along with the presence of Elizabeth Ann Paris in the 1901 & 1911 censuses.

However, whilst I did not find any children or relevant census entries, what I did find was a death registered in Cardiff for an Elizabeth Paris, aged 22, in the January/February/March quarter of 1896.

Therefore, being aware of this, I was somewhat surprised to find that the next-of-kin in the “Empress of Britain” 1918 passenger list was a Mrs E Parris - living at 26 Oakley Street in Cardiff.

So I searched the 1911 census again to see if I could find such a person in Cardiff and what I found was an Elizabeth Parris - who was then living at 47 Oakley Street!

She was recorded as a married woman, having been married for 14 years and there being 4 children (all then still alive) borne of the marriage. Living with her were her 4 daughters (all born in Cardiff).

In the 1901 census she is living elsewhere in Cardiff, with just 2 daughters.

Although Elizabeth claimed a marriage of 14 years, what I then found was a marriage registered in Cardiff in 1900 between Charles Wilfred Parris & Elizabeth Finley. I also found that there was a fifth daughter born in Cardiff in 1918.

To summarise this family:

Elizabeth Parris (nee Finley) - born 10 November 1876 in Glasgow & died in 1964 in Cardiff
Rosie Jane Paris - born 14 May 1898 & died in 1915 in Cardiff
Jessie May Paris - born 29 January 1900 & died in 1973 in Cardiff (married surname: Dimond)
Violet Elizabeth Parris  - born 5 March 1903 & died in 1972 in Cardiff (married surname: Smith)
Mary Emily Parris - born in 1907 (further information as yet not found)
Margaret Isobel Parris - born 29 March 1918 & died in Cardiff in 1997 (married surname: Howe)

Willyam

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Incredible ! My great-great grandfather was a bigamist ! He had never divorced Clarissa Beysseresse (as far as I know). Thank you Willyam for all this work. I'm really grateful for all your help.
I can fill a blank space in his life :
may 1889 : he was in Bordeaux with his "french family", he registered the birth of his daughter Marie Gabrielle (see his signature on the attachment, do you think it's the same ?).
1904 : his son (my great-grandfather) married. To proove that the father is absent and can't give his agreement, Clarissa had to provide a "acte de notoriété" (something like affidavit, I'm not sure for the translation) established by a judge, which says "from his departure during the year 1889, the so-called Charles Wilfred Paris has given no news to his family and despite the researches of his family, it has been impossible to know what happened to him".
1912 : his daughter married. A new affidavit is provided with the same declaration.