Author Topic: George Savage of Helsby and New Zealand.  (Read 4160 times)

Offline archives 1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Savage of Helsby and New Zealand.
« on: Tuesday 16 May 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
It has been quite a while since I 'posted' information on my late.great Uncle, George Savage who died on North Island, New Zealand.
The New Zealand end of my journey is not too far off closure..I have a copy of the inquest into my uncle's death. By contacting the Principal of the Kihikihi school, (recently published the 125 yrs Jubilee history of the school, in which is a picture /photograph of the original school where the inquest was held.
I also have the name of the Post Office Master (& druggist) from where the cablegram informing my gt.grandparents of the death of George Savage..Likewise in Helsby, I have a postcard showing the original postoffice & mistress the cablegram arrived to.
Does anyone know the route the cablegram cable took from Cornwall to Helsby? The cable being laid by Isambard Kingdom Brunel..crew and the Great Eastern ship.
Druid...please, may I use your photograph of the original Helsby school when I get around to collating all my information?
Concentrating on the Helsby end..Mountskill Quarry & the Cholmondoley estates is a starting part, Joseph Arch clearly pays a 'big' role in my gt.uncle's decision to migrate to New Zealand under the Julius Vogel scheme.
The sailing ship, the 'Orient' on which George was a 2nd class passenger, the 1st ship to depart England for Australia using both Steam and sail. Anyone have information on the departure from England on this ship?
Many thanks for reading this 'post'. Archives1

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Savage of Helsby and New Zealand.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
George Savage.
Mother Alice and Father David.

This may help
http://telegraphmuseum.org/

the cable must have gone the same way as the Cable called PLUTO for WW2.
From Helsby along the River Mersey down the coast to Cornwall.
Maggsie

Offline archives 1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 20:33 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you Maggsie for such a quick reply to my 'cable laying' question. A question I have been trying to solve for several years.
Indeed yes,David Savage & Alice Yates were George's parents. George's eldest sister worked as a servant ,Rose Villa in Frodsham.  ;)
I have a copy of both George's birth certificate from Halton Registrar's Office, from New Zealand, a copy of his death certificate.
My quest started in Helsby Church yard. George's parents headstone, at the foot was the inscription:- George Savage died aged 24 yrs. in New Zealand  1882..
This has been a fascinating journey,Maggsie, one that is not yet complete. Part of the 'winding up' process is obtaining permission to use 'sources of interest.'  :o
Sincere thanks,
Archives1

Offline archives 1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggsie,
Just emailed the museum, hoping 'they' might be of assistance.  :)

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the route the cablegram cable took from Cornwall to Helsby? The cable being laid by Isambard Kingdom Brunel..crew and the Great Eastern ship. ...
Not quite sure what you're getting at here. Once the line came ashore in Cornwall, any onward transmission would be over the land-based network which got quite extensive quite quickly - see http://www.connected-earth.com/Journeys/Firstgenerationtechnologies/Thetelegraph/Buildingtelegraphnetworks/index.htm for a quick overview.

The Great Eastern was used for Trans-Atlantic cable laying and also a cable India to Aden, but that's all I can see for her. Certainly not a cable to Australia / New Zealand.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
the cable must have gone the same way as the Cable called PLUTO for WW2.

Pluto was an oil pipeline under the English Channel in WW2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pluto

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline archives 1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 May 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies to my 'cable laying' questions.Stan & Adrian. Explains so much to me. Interesting reading too.
Thank you.
I have printed off the information to read later. :)

Offline chuddy mick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
david and alice savage were my great great grandparents so I could give you some information about family members in chester Runcorn area

Offline archives 1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 19:50 BST (UK) »
How exciting  :D..I do have some Runcorn information.
I would be delighted to read your information, cuddy mick.
My journey started with just a name at the foot of my great grandparents headstone in Helsby, Cheshire. I did know great Uncle George died in New Zealand, etched on the headstone..
What an amazing journey this has been,Mick. I googled Helsby Cheshire  New Zealand.  Literally, within  seconds, there was the start of an amazing journey.
All my information will go into the Helsby archives.
Through the various census records,  plus letters, I have traced a few names to the Runcorn area.
I was so thrilled to see your post.
Thank you for your message. :o