Author Topic: Big ask - Doncaster Electoral Roll look-up c1959  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Big ask - Doncaster Electoral Roll look-up c1959
« on: Thursday 18 May 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
For many years my late mother had tried to trace her father's Aunt, who had completely lost touch with the rest of the family.  Having now found her I am trying to discover what became of her children - my mother's aunts & uncles - and it seems that one of them emigrated to the US in 1925 and died there in 1973.  However, I have also found a passenger list from 1959 which shows him returning to the UK for a 2-month visit. 

The address given on the passenger list was 46 Barnsley Road, Moorends, Doncaster.

I'm hoping he was visiting one of his 'missing' siblings and would greatly appreciate it if someone could check the Electoral Register to see who was living there at that time.  I have tried the 1939 register but the house numbering doesn't go that far.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Big ask - Doncaster Electoral Roll look-up c1959
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 May 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
I am now 250 miles away so cannot help direectly, but the Registers for that period should be available in Doncaster reference Library. The constituency will at that time be Goole, so if they are not at Doncaster they may be in the West Riding county archive at Wakefield.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.

If no-one is able to check for me in person I'll contact them to see if they will do a paid search.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 May 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
Have you tried online phone books though I think you may need a name
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Where would I find those please Rosie?  As far as I know all of his sisters had died by 1959, so if it's a brother then I have all of their names.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 May 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Ancestry appear to have some with Doncaster phone numbers in their British phone books collection
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 May 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
I have a name from 1936 if that's of any help.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 May 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, I've just had a quick search & nothing is coming up but I'll try again later as I'm about to head out for a few hours. 

Frank, yes please - you never know!

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 May 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
John Charles Walters and Mary Walters.  ;)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands