Author Topic: Thomas Holmes b c 1825  (Read 5671 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Holmes b c 1825
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 March 22 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Once again Thank you KG. You are quite correct it does look like 30th December and I had misread it.

Good to know I might not have long to wait for the images. I will probably be still be working my way through the McIlroy family. I started with Agnes/Nancy McIlroy who seemed to be the oldest daughter (b c1837)  and have not yet got to Eliza Ann McIlroy in whose family I have 3 DNA matches. Mary Jane now appears to be the oldest, born 1833. Luckily I already had the Holmes family in my Ancestry tree so only had to connect Mary Jane Holmes nee McElroy to her mother Mary Henry

I have not yet made a full written list for the family as I am still working through them.

I do have several of the marriages though.  The earlier marriages appear to be as McElroy but Brice McIlroy who married 1876 shows as McIlroy. I had skipped to  Brice McIlroy because of his name (shared with my 3x gt grandfather Bryce Henry) when I was first verifying the DNA matches.

Brice McIlroy married 21 Nov 1876 to Anna Rea.
Eliza Ann McElroy married  27 Apr 1860 to Archibald Kirkpatrick
Nancy McElroy married  23 Jan 1855 to William Hart
Amelia McElroy married 21 jan 1864 to Robert Kelly.

I have Amelia only because she was a witness to Eliza's marriage but was not in the Ancestry tree that I used to find the McIlroy family members that I am now working through. So I looked for a marriage to confirm her relationship.

Mary Jane McIlroy and husband Thomas Holmes were also not in that Ancestry tree but the marriage was discovered a couple of days ago by a family member in the Hart family line, and sent to me for my opinion.  However as you can see from the date of my first post, I already had that family in my sights long before the discovery of McElroy/McIlroy DNA matches this year.

Cheers

Linda

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 March 22 10:36 GMT (UK) »

Amelia McElroy married 21 jan 1864 to Robert Kelly.

Here's the link to the marriage-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1864/11596/8267761.pdf

Note that one of the witnesses was Rebecca McIlroy (sister?)

On 19th March 1878 Rebecca McIlroy marries David McCracken. She's living in Benraw and her father is James, a farmer.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1878/11086/8057464.pdf

Another one to note, lmgnz  :)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 March 22 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi KG

Yes Rebecca is another  sister and one I have not reached as yet. And one that now might just be the answer to a McCracken FTDNA match who I think has family in the same area. So it is now very tempting to skip over to Rebecca.

I have finally made a list of the McIlroy family, though I am still to complete the Hart line and will have to return to the Holmes family to delve deeper, now that I know where they belong.

This going to take some time, and maybe Irishgenealogy will have posted the rest of the scanned death images before I have finished. ;)

Family of James McIlroy and Mary Henry
Mary Jane McIlroy   b 3 Nov 1833   m  1853 (at Leitrim) to Thomas Holmes      d 1890
Nancy McIlroy      b c1837      m 1855 (at Leitrim) to William Hart.        d 1904
Eliza Ann McIlroy    b c1840      m 1860 (at Leitrim) to Archibald Kirkpatrick.   d 1920
William Henry McIlroy   b 7 Oct 1841               d 1931
James McIlroy      b 8 Jun 1843
Margaret McIlroy   b 7 Dec 1844
John McIlroy      b 7 Dec 1844
Isaac McIlroy      b 10 Feb 1848
Rebecca McIlroy   b 10 Feb 1848
John McIlroy      b 29 Apr 1850
Brice McIlroy      b 22 Jul 1853

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 March 22 22:40 GMT (UK) »
OOps

I made the McIlroy list from a FamilySearch tree yesterday and remembered to add Brice McIlroy who was missing from that tree, but for got to add Amelia, whose DOB I do not know. But as she and Robert were witnesses in 1860 but married 1864, I thought maybe they had to wait until she was of age to marry.

I suspect Amelia and Robert may have emigrated as his farm at Benraw became vacant in 1871. No children births listed after 1867 but no deaths in Ireland either before 1921, as far as I can see. Though I will check again when I reach Amelia.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 13:18 BST (UK) »
Robert Kelly had moved from Benraw to Moybrick Dromara, which is where he died in 1876. Robert names his wife Amelia and two daughters, Mary and Eliza,  in his will.

Amelia Kelly of Dromara died 1897 and also left a will. By this time both daughters were marrie,  but Mary (Stewart) had died in 1891.

So the family did not emigrate.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 14 May 22 07:42 BST (UK) »
New question: William Henry McIlroy b 1841 of Benraw, brother in law of Thomas Holmes, died 1931
(McIlroy William Henry of Benraw Leitrim Banbridge county Down farmer died 19 October 1931 Probate Belfast 26 May to John Hart and John Bradford farmers. Effects £2422 16s. 2d).

William Henry McIlroy had 3 sons , Isaac who died 1908 and James who died 1928 but I am wondering if the other son, William John McIlroy born 10 Dec 1886 could have been the William John McIlroy b Co Down of the Royal Irish Rifles who died at Galiipoli on 17 Aug 1915.

Is there  a site i can check that?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 14 May 22 08:52 BST (UK) »
William Henry McIlroy had 3 sons , Isaac who died 1908 and James who died 1928 but I am wondering if the other son, William John McIlroy born 10 Dec 1886 could have been the William John McIlroy b Co Down of the Royal Irish Rifles who died at Galiipoli on 17 Aug 1915.

Is there  a site i can check that?

Listed as William James "Son of Mr. J. and Mrs. S. McIlroy, of Bridge St., Downpatrick, Co. Down."
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/691017/william-james-mcilroy/
http://rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/Mc/McIlroy.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 14 May 22 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you. the regiment number and date of death are the same as the Ancestry record for William John McIlroy. So that eliminates him.
Ireland, World War I Casualties, 1914-1922 for William John McIlroy

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 May 22 10:15 BST (UK) »

the regiment number and date of death are the same as the Ancestry record for William John McIlroy. So that eliminates him.
Ireland, World War I Casualties, 1914-1922 for William John McIlroy

From FindMyPast - Ireland's Memorial Records 1914 - 1918
(top left of page)
Reg. No. 11276
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=IRE%2FENEC011%2F00002014&parentid=IRE%2FENEC011%2F00002014%2F001

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo