Author Topic: Parish Records for Yarrow relating to Muster Rolls Dumfriesshire Militia 1798 on  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Border searcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
As I live far from the Archives in the Borders can anyone suggest any on-line resources to assist with the above please?

I am looking for the age of my ancestor James Murray on Attestation who was a Private then a Corporal in the Dumfriesshire Militia from around the early 1800s to at least 1812.

He was born in Yarrow, Selkirkshire but I am not clear about the year of Birth nor do I have the names of his parents.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
you could try Scotlandspeople & maxwell ancestry

do have more info as Murray is a very common name in the Scottish Borders, especially Selkirkshire

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BORDER SEARCHER. WHEN i transcribed Ettrick and Yarrow Cemeteries i added the lieutenency records(Militia Lists) TO THE CDs the info i got from Hawick records at the HUB. THEY WERE ON LINE AT THE HUB BUT MAY BE AVAILABLE DIRECT ON LINE.
IN THE E AND Y MILITIA LIST FOR 1802 THERE IS A JAMES MURRAY A :WRIGHT: FROM ELTRIEVE BUT THEY DONT GIVE AGES UNFORTUNATELY.

hope this helPS
ALAN
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Border searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thankyou Alan14578 I will certainly try and contact the Heritage Hub.

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records for Yarrow relating to Muster Rolls Dumfriesshire Militia 1798 on
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to hear about any news on your James Murray of Yarrow born in the mid 1700's as well. He might be Jamie Murray from Howford Mill. He was an elder of the Yarrow Kirk however also a dissenter.

Alexandrina Murray
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records for Yarrow relating to Muster Rolls Dumfriesshire Militia 1798 on
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 18:41 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to hear about any news on your James Murray of Yarrow born in the mid 1700's as well. He might be Jamie Murray from Howford Mill. He was an elder of the Yarrow Kirk however also a dissenter.

Alexandrina Murray
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye

Offline Border searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexandrina!

I have seen your name on a Blog relating to the Borders' Murrays but haven't commented there because it doesn't seem to be active at the moment.

I really struggling with 'my' James Murray Born in Yarrow because I am unable to identify his parents!

He was not born in the middle of the 1700s as you say though but in the last quarter. I am assuming that, given the traditional naming patterns, his father is likely to have been called John who would, indeed, have been born in the middle of the century. After that I am clueless. I feel sure that the family are not descended from landed gentry as there is no sign of money anywhere so they will just be ordinary working people.

There are so many James Murrays born in Yarrow in the last part of the 1700s but if his age is correct according to later Censuses then he must have run away to join the Militia- even under age! He was married young too!

If you know of any John Murrays through the Murray family contacts you have who were born about the middle of the century-name of wife unknown (if grandchildren named for her then could be Christina or Helen) I would be grateful for any help.

Kind regards

Yvonne Hardwick (researching for my mother Margaret Andrews nee Murray)

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne,

We should write up all of our resent research to this Forum here so others can keep up to date regarding Jamie Murray of Howford Mill and the other Murrays related.
Also the DNA matching results to our various Murray families from this area because not all Border Murrays were descended from the Murrays of Falahill.

Kind regards
Alexandrina Murray.