Author Topic: Hacconby - Tinsley  (Read 1654 times)

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hacconby - Tinsley
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
John Tinsly married Mary Harwood at Hacconby on 1 May 1711.  I have found the baptism of Mary at Hacconby (on IGI) but not that of John.  I am wondering whether he moved to Hacconby from a different parish to pursue his occupation as a shoemaker.  All his children were baptised at Hacconby.

I have seen in the archives the existence of HACCONBY/PAR/13/1 which is entitled settlement bonds and certificates (54 items dating from 1675 to 1819).  Is there any way of finding out whether there is one for Tinsley [prior to 1711] or is it reasonable to expect to pay a Lincstothepast research fee? [I live too far away to visit the archives myself, unfortunately.]  I would expect to purchase a copy of any document - should one exist.  I know it is a very long shot, but currently John Tinsley is a dead end in my tree.

Any advice gratefully received  :).

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hacconby - Tinsley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
The nearest might be:-

John Tinsley
Baptism: 15 Dec 1787 at Bourne
Parents: Joseph and Sarah

Also a James, son of Joseph and Rachel in 1785.

Joseph married Rachel in Hacconby in 1785 and Sarah in Bourne in 1787.

David

Sorry - a hundred years out

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
You have done very well to get back that far conclusively.

I found some of my Lincs Family Lines originated in Yorkshire.

Having said that do you know when John died? Does it have a age for him?

F/S  has;
JOHN Tinsley Christened 12 April 1687 Coningsby, Father ROBERT
JOHN Tinsley 1682 Coningsby, Father FRANCES

As John names hsi 1st Child Robert it may be a possible. You would have to check F/S to see if that John married or died in Conningsby to rule him in or out.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your interest in my search.  I believe I can trace the Tinsleys back to Hacconby -(from Holbeach via Rippingale and Morton) but no further (yet!).   

I have now double checked the Family search records and there is also a Robert (s/o Robert) buried at Coningsby 4 June 1689.  I have not found any further records of John or father Robert there.  I see that John s/o Frances was buried in 1682 (I assume 1682/3).  At the burial of son Robert it says he was of Freeston.  If this is Freiston, I believe that is some way away, which is intriguing.  Is there a closer Freeston I haven't yet located? [I have seen a burial of Robert Tinsley at Freiston on 14 June 1690 and a Mary Tynsley wife of Robert buried there on 30 April 1689. A Robert Tinsley married Mary Jefferey 6 July 1665 at Boston, which could be that couple.  However "my" John and his brother Robert would be very late births and I cannot find other siblings, so I doubt they could be "my" John's parents.]

There is a Robert Tinsly buried at Hacconby on 16 August 1730, which might be the father, if he settled with his son John at Hacconby.  I have not found a marriage for Robert that would fit.  [A Dorothy Tinsley, widow, was buried 15 April 1729 at Hacconby, so she could not be Robert's wife.]

So you can understand why I would dearly like to have some evidence to point to where John Tinsley came from to Hacconby, which a settlement certificate would give me. :)

Thanks again,
Judith

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I did not reply to you about John Tinsley's death.  The entry in the Hacconby parish register is Bury'd 1749 Nov 23 John Tinsley ---Shoemaker.  Unfortunately, no age is given.
Judith

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
If this is Freiston, I believe that is some way away, which is intriguing.  Is there a closer Freeston I haven't yet located?

For reference, there's a hamlet of Frieston in Caythorpe parish -

Map http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=493946&Y=348257&A=Y&Z=120&ax=510696&ay=325322
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 May 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was a settlement Certificate issued in 1718 to a John Tinsley. It is only a transcription.

The only information given is

Parish of legal settlement: Grantham
Other info: wife Mary and children
Lincs. archive ref. - Morton by Bourne 13/2/1/43

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 May 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the LCC wills index?

Recently, I found some new relatives in the will of an ancestor's brother who died in 1733.

There are Tinsley wills from Freiston and one of John, a cordwainer, in Rippingale in 1767.

It can be expensive and a lengthy process purchasing the wills but they can be rewarding.

You can download the index at - https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/lincoln-consistory-court-wills-index/129693.article

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 May 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
Shoemaking seems to have been passed down the line.

Stamford Mercury - 08 April 1785

29th March, 1785
JOSEPH TINSLEY,
Boot and Shoe Maker,
Takes this opportunity of informing his Friends
and the Public, that he has taken a SHOP at BOURN,
where he intends to execute every Branch of his Business in the
neatest and compleatest Manner. - Those who please to favour him,
with their Commands, may depend on their being well executed,
and on the shortest Notice.
 N.B. Ladies' Coloured SHOES made with Elegance, and in
the present Taste.

There is still a small shoe shop on Abbey Road in Bourne and a larger one in North Street.

David