Author Topic: Johnston(e) children in Kirkintilloch  (Read 1715 times)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
Johnston(e) children in Kirkintilloch
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with some missing birth records and a missing marriage record. I'm not sure if the records have just not been digitised or went missing/were destroyed, or if I'm not looking in the right places.

John Johnston(e) (b. 20th Jan 1806 in Glasgow to John Johnston(e) and Agnes Downie) was married to Marion Scotland (b. 22nd Dec 1815 in Kirkintilloch to William Scotland and Catherine Muirhead).

They had the following, that I'm aware of:
Catherine (abt 1836)
Agnes (abt 1838)
John (abt 1839)
Elizabeth (abt 1841) - Married James Strachan in 1862 in Bridgeton, died 1st May 1879 in Neilston
William (abt 1843)
Mary (abt 1845) - Married John Alexander in 1865 in Glasgow, died 30th Oct 1934 in New York [my 2x great grandmother]
Thomas (abt 1850)

Marion also had an illegitimate son, George Lumsden, born 16th March 1833 in Kirkintilloch. Father was George Lumsden.

Marion died 14th June 1857 in Kirkintilloch and John died 11th Sept 1871 in Royal Infirmary, Glasgow (usual residence Kirkintilloch). I've found the family in the 1841 - 1851 census, and then 1861 with John and some children, then John on his own in 1871 as a boarder.

Try as I might I just can't trace any birth records for any of their children and no marriage for the pair. I have got a birth entry for her illegitimate child, George, so I know there are some records from that area and time period, but am I just unlucky and those select years are sparse in existence? My family seems to have a habit of existing within years of missing records.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]