Author Topic: Bonar Bridge, Scotland  (Read 9392 times)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bonar Bridge, Scotland
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 25 May 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Robert Dunlop and Janet Campbell lived in Durine, Durness. They were married on the old traditional Scottish date of 31st December 1850, had a son Anthony baptised 20th February 1852 and a son James baptised 11th April 1854.

Robert was born in either 1816 or 1821 - there are two Robert Dunlops in the Durness records. By the same reckoning, Janet was born in 1828 or 1829.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 25 May 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
djct,

I have stopped researching that line as they are not the direct line for Williamina.

Williamina's direct line would be who I believe to be Isabella's parents;

James Ross & Mary McLean married 1889 Bonar (Indexed 046/1 1 1);

but of course it would need the marriage of Isabella & James Dunlop MacDonald Levy to prove that theory.

As for Williamina's father that would be guess work but when I have time I will have a look at possibles although waiting on feedback as to when the father possibly died to narrow things down.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 26 May 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
If my thoughts are correct, I believe Isabella Ross' mother Mary MacLean was previously married to a Hugh Munro?

Marriage?

MCLEAN MARY      MUNRO HUGH
046/1 2
Bonar

Death

MACLEAN MARY
046/1 3
Bonar

MUNRO MARY
046/1 3
Bonar

ROSS MARY
046/1 3
Bonar

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline cerchier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 26 May 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Annie, djct,
  I do not know nor does my son-in-law know when Isabella married James Levy.  No one knows if Isabella was a single mother for a period of time, this I find hard to believe that she would be.  My belief is that Williamina's father died before her birth and that James took his place, for whatever reason.  Of course I can not prove this, it is just something I think would or could happen.  If this was what happened, then he would have disappeared prior to Dec. 1909 and was, again I can't prove, known in the area.  Do you think this makes any sense.
  I will try to gather more info from my son-in-laws sisters and hopefully his mother.  Until then thanks again.

Chip

Offline cerchier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 26 May 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Annie,
  I don't know about Hugh Munro, but yes Mary Ross (McLean) 1853-1930 was Isabella's mother.  Mary Ross's parents were Hugh McLean and Janet McLean (Ross).  It is all very interesting.  I'm not sure if I want to dig too deep into this.
  Thanks again.

Chip

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 26 May 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Chip,

I think you may have missed a few of my posts.

I posted Williamina's birth cert. on Reply #22 as well as this, her mother's marriage details below.

Marriage;

LEVY JAMES DUNLOP    ROSS ISABELLA
046/1 6
Bonar

The marriage which is downloadable from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (for a small fee via credits)
will tell you if she was previously married.

I think I have found who could potentially be Williamina's father who died Nov 1908 & Williamina was born 21 Mar 1909 i.e. the story would fit with her father being deceased prior to her birth although it wasn't an accident.

I need to go out for now but will post my findings later.

Annie

Offline cerchier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 27 May 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
  Thank you for the info.  I would have sent you a personal email, but not so sure how to do that.
  Again, thank you and I will try to figure that out.

Cheers, Chip