Author Topic: The Miles family of Bedfordshire  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Grampy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Miles family of Bedfordshire
« on: Monday 22 May 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to link Thomas Miles of Little Staughton born 1794 and married to Mary White, with John Miles of Tempsford born 1773 and married to Frances Ibbot. The distance between the two places is only a few miles. I'm sure there is a link and according to my Grandmother who was a Miles. Can anyone help?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Miles family of Bedfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
There is no baptism of Thomas Miles at Little Staughton (or indeed anywhere else in Beds) in or about 1794 as per the Beds FHS Surnames Index CD..... however that don't mean it didn't happen, as the Little Staughton baptism transcript is very sparce in those years. There were baptisms at LS of William Miles on 28 Apr 1790 & Mary on 29 July 1792, children of Richard & Lydia Miles, so they might be his parents.

Interesting... as Richard Miles first married Mary Teat, widow at Tempsford on 29 May 1783. They baptised son Richard at Tempsford on 5 June 1786, the same day wife Mary was buried there, & son Richard was buried 21 July 1786. After that Richard Miles, widower married Lydia Brunt at Tempsford on 12 Nov 1787.

Tracking back, seems Richard Miles was baptised at Tempsford on 3 May 1747, son of John & Ann Miles, labourer.

Meanwhile at Tempsford, John Miles was baptised there on 12 Sept 1773, son of Edward Miles who married Ann Jeakins on 12 Apr 1773. Wife Ann was buried there on 11 Aug 1776. Edward was baptised on 3 Jan 1748-1749, again son of John & Ann Miles, labourer.

It looks like it's probable that the father of Thomas & the father of John were brothers.

Cheers John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Grampy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Miles family of Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi. Thankyou for your help. I am using your information and hopefully I will be adding more Miles' names to my tree.