Author Topic: Does this seem a feasible explanation for JAMES FLETCHER's roots?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does this seem a feasible explanation for JAMES FLETCHER's roots?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
The new GRO site gives ages at death and also says aged 62yrs making his birth 1796 same as in census

FLETCHER, JAMES       62     Order
GRO Reference: 1858  S Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 09C  Page 214

NG

Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies.

Elizabeth Dobb, James's second wife was born about 1793 in Rotherham (I believe she was the daughter of Thomas Dobb and Martha Eyre, baptized 5 Jan 1794 at Rotherham All Saints). On the wedding document for James and Elizabeth, it says that Elizabeth was a spinster, and that James was widowed - so then I went looking for a possible marriage for James.
The most feasible one I could find was to Jane Snidall, at Sheffield, on 14 Jan 1811. I believe this Jane was born 1788, baptized 12 Oct 1788 in Sheffield. Jane passed away in March 1814, buried 11 March 1814, at Attercliffe, where she is said to be 25 years old, and the wife of James.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Dobb, James's second wife was born about 1793

So that makes her 3 years older than his claimed age. If he was going to change his age at all, I would have thought he'd have made himself the same age as her or slightly older, not younger. Very odd.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk