Author Topic: Samuel Shiels  (Read 4387 times)

Offline krytines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Shiels
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 November 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kenneth!

Thank you so much for sending the information on the Shields family I did not have some of those dates so that really helped me out .  I am doing a family history on the Shields it is a challenge to find information on them especially prior to civil registration there are virtually no records so I have really had to hunt and not living in Northern Ireland I can't investigate on my own for example church records, I live in Nova Scotia Canada.  My  biggest challenge is finding a record for the birth of my Great Grandfather John Shields son of Samuel and Margaret I estimate he was born around 1855/6 and the only reason I know that he is the son of Margaret and Samuel is from his marriage registration which lists those two as his parents he would be the oldest child.  I have a question for you do you know if Margaret Martin/Shields died Nov. 8 1907 at the Gourock Parochail Ayslum Institution in Scotland?  I have a death registration for a Margaret Shields but am not 100% sure if it is her.  I am curious as to why she was in Scotland .  Any information you could give me on the Shields family would be greatly appreciated and if I can help you with information I would be happy to do that.  Hope to hear from you again!

Best Wishes
Ginny Dion

Offline Kenneth Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 November 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Ginny
I will be over in Belfast next week and I will speak with Joanne Kane (nee Shields) daughter of George Shields. She may recall the scotish connection. I recall some people visiting in the late 1960's/early 1970s from Scotland.
Have you connected with the Shields in Vancouver. They came to visit in 1970s.
Kenneth

Offline Kenneth Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 November 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Ginny
I just spoke to my mum and went over your email.
Sge pointed out thatI Gourock, should be Greenock in Scotland. She recalls her mother-law (Annie Moore) visiting Greenock Scotland. John Shields would have been my grandmother's uncle. Maybe if your search Greenock Parochail Ayslum Institution you may have more luck.
My mum asked me to ask you what is your connection with the Shields of Scotland.
Regards
Kenneth

Offline Kenneth Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 November 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Ginny
I just spoke to my mum and went over your email.
Sge pointed out thatI Gourock, should be Greenock in Scotland. She recalls her mother-law (Annie Moore) visiting Greenock Scotland. John Shields would have been my grandmother's uncle. Maybe if your search Greenock Parochail Ayslum Institution you may have more luck.
My mum asked me to ask you what is your connection with the Shields of Scotland.
Regards
Kenneth

Offline krytines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Kenneth!

In answer to your Mothers question regarding the Shields family in Scotland my Great Grandfather John Shields (he is the one I cannot find a birth record for) and his wife Matilda/Watton Shields moved along with three of their children from Ireland to Greenock Scotland around 1883 I am not sure why they moved perhaps it was so John could get better work, there were lots of jobs on the docks working in the sugar industry  The oldest son William Shields who is my Grandfather met and married Agnes Knox in Greenock in 1903.  Their oldest son John is my Father he was born in Greenock in 1908  John and Matilda immigrated to Canada in 1907 and William and Agnes immigrated to Canada in 1911.  They all settled in the Vineland area of Ontario Canada.

I am afraid I do not know of any Shields relatives in Vancouver B.C.   The only Shields family I know live in Ontario Canada. 

Any questions you might have regarding the Shields in Canada I will try and answer for you.  Thank you again for helping me and hopefully on your trip to Belfast to visit Joanne she might be able to answer some questions.  If you want to communicate with me outside of the Roots Chat send me your email address it might be easier to communicate that way and we could send family pictures if you like.

Best Wishes
Ginny

Offline Kenneth Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 November 20 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Ginny
I am back researching. My personal email is (*)
Kenneth

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php