Author Topic: Archimedes Litherland.  (Read 2368 times)

Offline nacnud83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archimedes Litherland.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 March 19 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Ellie! Yes, I am often quite amazed by all the hype in the press! Thanks for your sage advice concerning the claims. I can quite imagine that a lot of it was exaggerated. Indeed, I have seen some early reviews of Helen's performances which are kind, but certainly not glowing. I'm still in awe of their tireless touring schedule, though, and I think they did much to bring the guitar, mandolin and banjo to the public awareness (and for me being a guitarist, I find it so fascinating considering she was an opera 'star' and he was a grand illusionist). I had seen one review mentioning that A L Cunard was also a composer, so thank you for letting me know that it was reported elsewhere that he had composed a piece for his daughter. That's so sweet. Could you please tell me a little more about Alice and her music? Did she ever talk about her role in the shows, or about playing guitar, etc? I notice she and Nellie were described as "charming young mignonnes" and serio-comics in their shows around 1895. Later, and especially after their father died, the girls are reported to have performed duos and trios together with their mum. Did Alice ever talk of the sorts of music they played together? I believe that they were performing with the Hellers as a 'Jungfrau Musical Trio' around 1906-1908, and I learned that Nellie died tragically in 1922, but what were they doing between 1908 and Nellie's passing?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline EllieJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 March 19 06:18 GMT (UK) »
I have sent to a personal message.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 March 19 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm pleased there is still more being found on this family.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)