Author Topic: Archimedes Litherland.  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Archimedes Litherland.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 May 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
Catherine Helen Gordon Russell/Litherland 
her father Robert is a very interesting man
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 May 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
On the link to her (Catherine Russell) daughter's gravestone, the daughter's grandfather is Robert Russell, first surveyor of Melbourne and co-founder Melbourne Cricket Club.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 May 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
Catherine Helen Gordon Russell
daughter of Robert Russell and Mary Ann Collis Gordon Russell
was born St Kilda's Victoria
27th April 1855
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 00:21 BST (UK) »

Offline EllieJB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I have read these posts on Archimedes Litherland with interest as I have done extensive research on him and his second wife Helen Gordon Russell. Their second daughter Alice had three sons who all went on to have large families so there are many descendants in Australia.
A Litherland Cunard left England as assistant to the famous illusionist Harry Keller in 1875 and accompanied him on a tour to America. During this time he took the stage name Cunard.  He seems to have returned in 1876 and worked as an auctioneer. Note that there were two others who subsequently used the name Cunard. In 1979 he became manager of a circus at the Wintergarden in Southport, near Liverpool but left again with Keller on a world tour in 1879. While in Melbourne he met and married Helen Gordon Russell, an opera singer and together they embarked on a life of music hall, theatre management and performance. Their whole life on the road can be reconstructed through the Trove newspaper archive. Archimedes was known as Professor Cunard, but you can also find him under the name A Litherland Cunard or AL Cunard. He did not use the name Archimedes professionally. There is also a great deal about the Cunard family entertainers.
Helen (Catherine Helen) was born in London, England during a family visit to England.
Regarding Kate, his first wife: his marriage certificate notes her death in May 1884. I too noted that she did not seem to know that he was not working as an auctioneer. He never returned to England despite travelling widely. There is a story there to find.
I have lots of photos if anybody would like to contact me for more information.

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I would be really interested, I,m still researching the family. You have to make another 2 posts before I can contact you through a PM, personal message.  Then I can give you my email address in private.
Are you related.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline EllieJB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 October 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I am married to one of Alice’s grandsons. My husband arranged the gravestone mentioned in one of the previous posts. I must say I was surprised to see a photo online.
What is your relationship to the Litherland family?

Offline EllieJB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 October 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
You can read about Archimedes’ Adventures with Harry Keller in an online book called A Magician’s Tour: Up and Down and Around the Earth. It’s freely available online. google it.

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Found the book, very adventurous. I am guessing even though he in only named on one page, he stayed with  Keller after that.
Have sent a pm,
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)