Author Topic: Christina Simpson b1893 - emigrated to USA 1920?  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Christina Simpson b1893 - emigrated to USA 1920?
« on: Saturday 27 May 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's adopted half-sister (Christina Simpson) was born in Aberdeen in 1893, and appears there on the 1901 and 1911 censuses. I haven't been able to trace her in any subsequent UK records.

There is a Christina Simpson of the correct age and from Aberdeen, who emigrated to the USA from Liverpool on the White Star liner RMS Celtic, arriving at Ellis Island, New York on 7/8 May 1920. I'm working on the assumption this is her.

Can anyone identify her in any public US records, eg 1930/1940 censuses, or else in marriage or death records? Any suggestions appreciated.

ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon
DUNBARTONSHIRE: Smith, Russell, Donald, Meiklem
GLASGOW: Guthrie
RENFREWSHIRE: Gilmour, Pollok, Urie
IRELAND: McIlhenny, McIlhaney
LANCASHIRE: Swainson, Baines
YORKSHIRE: Littlewood, Bastow/Barstow/Bairstow, Nussey, Haley, Wilkinson
WILTSHIRE: Marsh, Golding/Goulding/Golden/Goulden
DEVON: Perry, Hurford
BERKSHIRE: Chandler, Langley, Surman
AUSTRALIA: Poole, Surman, Miatke, Baum
GERMANY: Miatke, Baum

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Simpson b1893 - emigrated to USA 1920?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
She may have married before 1930 but here are the links to the 1930 and 1940 US census from Family Search

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1810731?collectionNameFilter=false
https://familysearch.org/1940census/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
A possibility from FS

Name    Harold G Veazie
Event Type    Marriage
Residence Place    Corinna, Me
Event Date    19 Dec 1924
Event Place    Maine, United States
Spouse's Name    Cchristine Simpson
Spouse's Residence Place    Corinna, Me

IGNORE - that Christine was b Maine according to the 1930 census
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 17 00:34 BST (UK) »
1930 entry

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k5m/

She may have returned to the UK in 1931

Christina Simpson aged 37 b 1894 occ cook arrived Southampton from Quebec 6.6.1931

Address 54 Easlemont/Esslemont? Avenue Aberdeen

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 17 01:16 BST (UK) »

There is a Christina Simpson of the correct age and from Aberdeen, who emigrated to the USA from Liverpool on the White Star liner RMS Celtic, arriving at Ellis Island, New York on 7/8 May 1920. I'm working on the assumption this is her.

According to the entry for that Christina the contact from where she came was Grandmother Mrs. J. Simpson -108 Rosemount Via, Aberdeen, Scotland. And the contact to where she is going is Brother Mr J. D. Simpson - North Dakota.

Is that her grandmother? Does she have a brother J.D. ?  If so that is her, if not then that is not her.

She is listed on line 15

Page 1: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k5n/

Page 2: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k5o/

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 17 02:36 BST (UK) »
In addition to the above,
Vital Statistics (from a "pay site")
Christina Simpson, parents John D. Simpson and Christina Rennie.
She never married and was born in 1893 Aberdeen Scotland, passed away in 1972, California.

There are additional facts on the form; if this is your Christina, we can provide more precise details (I don't like to post exact details regarding people who have "recently" passed away).   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 17 02:45 BST (UK) »
Christina Simpson, parents John D. Simpson and Christina Rennie.
She never married and was born in 1893 Aberdeen Scotland, passed away in 1972, California.

The date of birth for the above Christina was 22 October 1893.
-------------------------
Declaration of Intention - Naturalization Records
State of North Dakota
Christina Simpson, born 22 October, 1893, Aberdeen, Scotland
Residing:  208 10th Street, North, Fargo, N.Dak.
Arrived: Celtic May 8, 1920
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 17 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks folk, you've been very helpful. (I started typing this before I saw the two notes from Lisa, which further confirmed that this is "my" Christina.  :) :) :)

Yes, the parent details Lisa has given are correct. And, thank you to RJ137, she did have an elder brother John Duncan Simpson, although I didn't know he had emigrated (I hadn't done any research on him as Christina was only in my family tree by informal adoption after both her parents had died when she was an infant.)

And her grandmother was Mrs Janet Simpson, who lived until 1923. It's quite likely that Christina would have given her grandmother's name, since not only had her natural parents died when she was an infant, but her adoptive parents had both died when she was a teenager!

So this really does look as if it's her. There doesn't seem to be any other Christina Simpson from Aberdeen and of the right age who ticks these boxes.

And thanks for the links to the 1930 and 1940 censuses - the immigration date of 1920 ties in, so it does look as though she continued her rather sad life as a servant, in Seattle then San Francisco.

Re the trip to the UK in June 1931, the same Christina Simpson (54 Esslemont Avenue, Aberdeen) went back on the Britannic from Liverpool on 10 October to Boston / New York.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=JNl35&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&gss=angs-c&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&gsfn=christina&gsfn_x=0&gsln=simpson&gsln_x=0&msbdy=1893&msbdy_x=1&msbdp=5&cpxt=1&cp=11&MSAV=1&MSV=0&uidh=mj2&pcat=40&h=142344488&recoff=6%207&dbid=2997&indiv=1&ml_rpos=3

And the clincher as far as I am concerned is that her 1972 death record on the US Social Security record has her date of birth as 22 Oct 1893, the same as "my" Christina.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J5XX-5Y6?print=true

I'll leave this thread open for a few days, just in case anyone else comes up with some more information about Christina, and if not then I'll mark it as COMPLETED. Many thanks to all of you for helping me fill in this blank in my family history. I'm just sorry for Christina that she doesn't seem to have had all that great a life.

PS to Lisa in California - yes, if you have any more info about Christina that you are willing to release by private message, that would be very kind of you.

PPS to RJ137 - thank you for the death certificate and obit notices, sent almost simultaneously with my own post. Very informative.

ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon
DUNBARTONSHIRE: Smith, Russell, Donald, Meiklem
GLASGOW: Guthrie
RENFREWSHIRE: Gilmour, Pollok, Urie
IRELAND: McIlhenny, McIlhaney
LANCASHIRE: Swainson, Baines
YORKSHIRE: Littlewood, Bastow/Barstow/Bairstow, Nussey, Haley, Wilkinson
WILTSHIRE: Marsh, Golding/Goulding/Golden/Goulden
DEVON: Perry, Hurford
BERKSHIRE: Chandler, Langley, Surman
AUSTRALIA: Poole, Surman, Miatke, Baum
GERMANY: Miatke, Baum

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 17 02:59 BST (UK) »