Author Topic: John Everett/ Everitt b abt 1744 ? Huntingdonshire and d 1811 Great Gidding  (Read 3180 times)

Offline hazydazy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm looking for a bit of help please with a brick wall re parents of my 4x great grandfather. I have John Everett born about 1744. He married Susanna Martin 25 Apr 1777 Great Gidding, Huntingdonshire, England. Transcription of monumental inscription ST. MICHAEL’S CHURCH GREAT GIDDING reads: In memory of John Everitt (or Everett), who departed this life April 7th 1811, aged 67 years. 

I think he wasn't born in Great Gidding but don't have any other clues. I have found a couple of possible baptism records:
(1)   John Everit son of William and Alice, 15 Jan 1743, Cottenham Cambridgeshire.
(2)   John Everett son of Abraham and Mary, 9 July 1744, Waterbeach Cambridgeshire.

I'm wondering if I'm on the right track or if there is information available to further inform my quest for the family's origins?
SCT/South Australia/West Australia: Smith, Neil, Reid, Paterson, Howie, Leask, Corston,
SCT/West Australia: Finnerty, Lobban, Harvey, Bremner, Campbell, Stevenson, McHardy
ENG/West Australia: Broad, Stokes, Shaw, Stock, Strains, O'Neill, Cooper, Matthews, Everitt, Otter, Staveley, Piggott, Noble, Trott
ENG/South Australia/West Australia: Hounslow
IRL/West Australia: Logue, Brittain, Meade, Burges, Goodwin
West Australia: Wood, Arundel
South Australia: Carmichael, Reeds, Clark, Brooks

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Everett/ Everitt b abt 1744 ? Huntingdonshire and d 1811 Great Gidding
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Why do you think he wasn't from Gt Gidding? Have you gone through the parish register for Everet entries?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
There is also John Everett baptised on 22nd October 1744 in Yaxley.
He was son of Nicholas and Martha,  names a bit out of the norm which may give a clue if they are repeated in John's children.
33 was rather old for a first marriage;  was he a widower when he married Susanna? 
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline hazydazy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
I've so far only accessed the transcription of St Michael's parish register made available on the Great Gidding Data CD 1 published by Patrick Ellis. The earliest mention on the CD of the Everet/t name in any form is the marriage of John Everet to Susanna Martin on 25.04.1777.

I should have thought of it before, but I'm planning to do some research at my local Latter Day Saints Family History library, where hopefully I'll be able to view images of the Parish Register.

I live in Western Australia.
SCT/South Australia/West Australia: Smith, Neil, Reid, Paterson, Howie, Leask, Corston,
SCT/West Australia: Finnerty, Lobban, Harvey, Bremner, Campbell, Stevenson, McHardy
ENG/West Australia: Broad, Stokes, Shaw, Stock, Strains, O'Neill, Cooper, Matthews, Everitt, Otter, Staveley, Piggott, Noble, Trott

Offline hazydazy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest bevj.

John's children's names Thomas (Dec 1777), John (1781-1853), Marey (1783-1783), Ann (1786), Sarah (1790-1848), William (1793-1871), Martin (1795-1795), Samuel (1797-1797), Elizabeth (1801-1801).

I haven't any information re a former marriage for John, food for thought.

Offline Mark Gilby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
@Hazydazy:   John & Susanna are my great(*5) grandparents too, through their daughter Sarah.

Like you, I am also stuck at this point.  Unlike you, I am UK based & so I hope to go to the Huntingdon archive in 2 weeks time.   I actually lived within 15 miles of this parish as a 35 year old, without knowing the connection at that time.

I also hope to bottom out the Sarah dates, as I believe that there was an infant birth in 1790 and that my Sarah was born two years later.  In the <b>indexes</b>, there are definitely 2 christening records in the same year (1790) for a Sarah born to a John & Susanna (August 15 = Everet, September 5 = Everett)

If I find out more, then I am more than happy to share.
Huntingdonshire:  GILBY, Atkins, Everitt/Everet/Everett, Hopper
Surrey:  Ellis, Fisher, Nightingale, Tombling/Tomblin
London (post 1900): Ellis, Fisher, Nightingale, Tombling/Tomblin

Offline Mark Gilby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
There is also John Everett baptised on 22nd October 1744 in Yaxley.
He was son of Nicholas and Martha,  names a bit out of the norm which may give a clue if they are repeated in John's children.
33 was rather old for a first marriage;  was he a widower when he married Susanna? 
Bev

No "Martha" nor "Nicholas" in my side of the tree (unfortunately)
Huntingdonshire:  GILBY, Atkins, Everitt/Everet/Everett, Hopper
Surrey:  Ellis, Fisher, Nightingale, Tombling/Tomblin
London (post 1900): Ellis, Fisher, Nightingale, Tombling/Tomblin