Author Topic: Does anyone have experience of Wikitree  (Read 5141 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have experience of Wikitree
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I had a go with WikiTree but found it hard work.

You upload a GEDCOM and then plough through everyone in there looking at possible matches with the existing entries. You get, if I remember correctly, 4 weeks to go through the automatically generated list of matches, and after that you do things manually. Bear in mind that your John Smith born in Birmingham will match with about 150 in Alabama, 20 in Alaska, …. and 500 whose place of birth was just left blank.

Once you have sorted through those, you then need to re-assemble your families, because the import process throws all that information from the GEDCOM away.

All this means that the GEDCOM you upload needs to be SMALL, or you will give up part way through.

When I commented on this, the person who responded said that she added all her entries longhand - yet another chance of transcription error.

The idea seems reasonable, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 18:08 GMT (UK) »
   I have just been contacted by someone through Ancestry DNA, and find that s/he is working on wikitree, which I have no previous dealings with. While deciding what to do, I investigated wikitree, and putting in the name of a possible 17th century ancestor of mine, with a fairly unusual name, I found what I can only call absolute twaddle!
   I read a bit about the theory behind it and their ethos, so I suppose what I should do is wade in and try to correct that tree, but I don't think I could face it.
   Just sounding off!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have been using Wikitree until this very day!
I found it quite good, and combined a couple of duplicate people in my line.

The one drawback for me was receiving multitudes of emails from them which I slimmed down to 1 per week.
This morning, after receiving my 4th weekly email at 5.20am I spat the dummy!
I am now not part of it, my people stay on and I can return but no more emails!!!

Cheers,
Chris
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany