Author Topic: Does anyone have experience of Wikitree  (Read 5140 times)

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone have experience of Wikitree
« on: Saturday 27 May 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I recently heard a webinar about Wikitree and am considering putting at least part of the tree I have put together onto Wikitree.

I have a slight concern about putting a tree online having heard comments about hijacked trees on other sites and seeing strange things on trees that appear when I search for possible matches.  (A man with two wives at the same time and having sons by both wives born in the same years with the same names! - only ONE child with that name on GRO).

I am not particularly into growing my tree rapidly. I would rather make sure that I have the right person before I add them to my tree, but I would like to make contact with some unknown relatives and they claim to be able to make connections.

Am I being overly cautious?

Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have experience of Wikitree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 17 00:15 BST (UK) »
the problem I found was other people editing and adding to what I put on. That is the way it works, in theory everybody helps,  theoretically that should be good, in practice, no. Others may find it OK but not me.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 17 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the feedback, youngtug.
I understand that they want to build tree with everyone on it with all allowed to co-operate.  Sounds good in theory and they claim to have checks to make sure it is all correct.
But I am not sure I want other people to 'edit' the work I have done and tried to check carefully.  I like to stay in control of my fsmiy tree.

Jan

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 17 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hmm....

I have never seen nor heard of this but it sounds a farce & a free-for-all to me  ;D

If I'm being honest, I have found more genuine contacts through posts on RC with people doing 'genuine' research rather than people sitting waiting on green leaf hints on Fancestry or relying on contributions on FS or any other of the same sort but that's my own experience.

If I was to follow most of what I've seen for my family (of which is well documented) on 'online trees' I would still be searching for the proof of what I've seen  ;D

I do still believe online trees are good tools, a bit like a story which grows arms & legs but if I find anything of interest or possible matches I always check them out.

I don't think I fancy the idea of my tree which I've been researching for nearly 20 yrs & having spent £1000's being open to all & sundry to change/edit my work to their advantage for it to become a shim-sham/mish-mash although I may venture into it at some point now that you've drawn it to my attention (just for an idea of it's workings) as I'm now curious what's on it/how it works  ???  ::)  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 17 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

The more I think about the less willing I am to put my full tree onto Wikitree even though it is only a year's work and not 20 years like yours, I might put a couple of generations on to try it out.
The webinar I saw was on https://familytreewebinars.com and the is titled Wkitree  free for all and you can see part of the webinar without needing to log in, if you want to find out a bit about it.

Jan

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 17 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thanks for that link as it's worth a wee look around, nothing ventured...as they say  :P

No harm in a few generations to see what it generates  ???  :D

Likewise, I have never been in a hurry to expand my tree by copying what I find, even if I can't afford the certs. I need.

I do have many in my tree, children/siblings of my direct lines (no certs) but enough info. from various means to be content with my finds. I do however believe & strive to obtain all certs. for DIRECT lines even if I can't afford all certs. for siblings.

I have most images for my Scottish lines as they're minimal cost compared with my English & Irish ones.

I've probably spent more £s on wrong English certs. through so many variants of surnames than I've spent on genuine ones from SP  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 May 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
I will not put my tree online in fact mine is handwritten, and staying that way  :D.
If my family decide to put it online in the future that will be their choice and the problems that come with it will be theirs too. ;D
I think I had better warn them  ;D

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 May 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Surely I am not the only roots chatter who uses wiki tree?
The interest so much is not getting a tree across but getting every individual with an individual record number your mum your dad and so on for the whole shebang each with their own identity.
My name which is Twitchin is limited and to only one other and both South of England and as yet we have not found a link so far.
The discipline is very good and I visit daily.
Free of charge and not what you quite might think.
Our shared tree includes 14,187,854 profiles edited by 426,854 genealogists from around the world.
It's worth a go,not exploitive and you will like it.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 May 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
I use Wikitree and also my own program on my computer. Through Wikitree i have now got certificates for my Dutch family. Wikitree likes everything to be sourced and the source recorded. I now use Wikitree and Rootschat to find my missing family. I am the only one in my family that has an interest in family history so Wikitree is my backup for future family that are interested as i guess when i leave this earth my computer will be wiped clean or just thrown out.
                 Carol

Added; i have been researching for over 30 years
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.