Author Topic: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please  (Read 10028 times)

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 17 March 19 01:33 GMT (UK) »
I just did a Google search and find these same images but with a date in the 1920s.  So are we looking around then? Meaning house may have been known as The Moorings in the 1920s.  Obviously the house is older. WCC has archives that may be worth exploring.

Hi Shanreagh, yes these images are from 1924 (without garage) and 1926 (with garage)

Could you share your link to the images?

Thank you

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 17 March 19 02:00 GMT (UK) »
.... My Great Grandfather was Thomas Meagher's second son James....
Hi Cuz (4th).

My interest with this Meagher/Maher thread is via Catherine. As already evident the shipping records offer a family grouping that is not evident elsewhere - at least not in the usual channels. Spelling not withstanding, missing parents names on death certificates is a hindrance and  the dates are imprecise ...
Catherine is listed as 10 in 1858 giving a DoB of 1848 yet here death in 1895 (NZ BDM 1895/6118) gives her age of 50 (with Year in NZ) as 40) - meaning a DoB 1845 (Arrival = 1855).

While I have a tentative DNA link with one of you cousins, having Thomas (Snr) die out of the country has meant indirect linkages are needed in order to connect.
This thread has discussed the connection with Michael and Thomas, however Michael is the pivot for me as he is noted as an executor to the will of John Casey (Snr d-1879) , Catherine's husband, and also has John Casey (Junior) , Catherine's son, as an  executor on his will.

I am lost as to what the politics/societal environment of 1921 was, that allowed Michael's death certificate to fail to record his parents names (and hence a concrete connection to Mary & Patrick). Was he a cousin maybe (masquerading as a son for immigration purposes in 1858)  - Or was it just a lazy/busy undertaker?

Re: Photo from Ngaio : the exact date may be important as the Ngaio area of the time might mean anything from Khandallah to Crofton(Downs) with Nairnville in between being the current suburbs in an area that was also referred to as Upper Kaiwar(r)a, (Kaiwhara, Kaiwharawhara).

Re. Takapu and the Farm of Thomas Meagher - do you know the exact location of the farm homestead?

I know it is in Takapu - Porirua, and according to an historian at the Porirua City Council they used to use the Maher property airstrip there for many years to do top-dressing in the area.

I have 1 (and only 1) photo of  Thomas(jnr) Maher taken in Oct 1932 (died 15th Jan 1942) with his property in the background and a second one (also Oct 1932) with my Great Grandfather James Maher (his brother) walking away and his wife Emily (Lilley) and another lady, also with his property in the background.

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 17 March 19 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Re: The Meagher Land in Porirua
With the help of early maps provided by a historian at the Porirua City Council (circa 1880) I have figured by overlaying google maps that some of the first blocks of land that Thomas Meagher Senior bought is right where Meagher Park is located today in Porirua.
The blocks that he bought up are highlighted by the Historian.
A quote from the Porirua Library History Website: (was at https://porirualibrary.org.nz/Heritage they have moved it now)

"During the 1880s many of the small farms were bought to form larger holdings. Owners of these large holding included Charles Cottle (for whom Cottle Park Drive is named), the Galloways, Thomas Meagher and Sir William Fitzherbert. In 1891 Fitzherbert died and in 1903 the Liberal Government negotiated to buy the 1640 acre Belmont Farm that Fitzherbert had owned. They paid £15,419 for the property."

I am still not sure why one block/section right next to Thomas senior's blocks was labelled P. Meagher. Perhaps Patrick, his father, bought that block before he died in 1859.

Offline Peter Clapcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 05:11 GMT (UK) »
I had found some time to introduce myself to the Land Information archives a couple of months ago.

Learning the language and filing/indexing of the late 1800s took longer than I expected but I found a few nuggets that appear to relate (I need to revisit the archive as my initial photos are not good)

The first image appears to show a subdivision of lot 26 (neighboring the already identified 24)
The words in the transfer reference "the southern half of section 26" and the seller being Charles Stevens (a name shown on the above maps)

What I am less sure is a direct match is a reference to Section 35.
- The shape is wrong
- The reference to section 36 (may have later been consumed by the adjacent block)

However, it comes with a chronology (1876-1907) which shows "a" Patrick Meagher as the original owner , a mortgage relate period then to Thomas (Snr) then to Thomas(Jnr)

Note: This "Patrick Meagher" would appear to be different from the one we have been talking about here.
A BDM death index has a Patrick Meagher death in 1887 aged 56 (= b 1831). however this patricks probate is from Auckland and makes no reference to any Wellington land.

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 22 March 19 07:10 GMT (UK) »
That's great thank you Peter. I know that Thomas Senior left for Argentina in 1899 which fits with the transfer of land to his son. I would like to know more about the Land Information archives. I am also quite interested in what land transfer a occured once the Thomas seniors probate was actioned in 1920 and also what happened to the land ownership when Thomas jnr died 15-1-1942

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 22 March 19 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Very good article in the journal of the Scottish Genealogy Society on the voyage of the "Bengal Merchant!" from Port Glasgow in October 1839, Capt' John Hemery. She carried 160 passengers, the first Scottish emigrants to settle in New Zealand.

The Scottish Genealogist!  March '19.  Might be available online, dinnae ken!

Skoosh.