Author Topic: GILBERT of Walterstone  (Read 1392 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GILBERT of Walterstone
« on: Monday 29 May 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a connection with a William Gilbert born 1757 who was married in Shirehampton in 1800 to Honor[a] Edwards [nee Thomas] to a William Gilbert born Walterstone Herefordshire in 1757? My Gilbert line has a DNA connection to Herefordshire with the family names of Howells and Cecil.
Any clues from the Herefordshire Gilbert researchers?

Cheers
jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline johnhowellstyrfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GILBERT of Walterstone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack,
 My paternal ancestry is in West Herefordshire around MichaelChurch Escley and before that Ganarew back to around the 1660's. One of my ancestors in the 1800's farmed "Old Hay" which I believe is very close to Urishay Castle which I believe was the home of the De La Hay family. I live in South East Wales UK.
 A recent Y Dna test suggests I share descent with or from the Cecils at some point and I have joined the Cecil and Word (surname) projects at Family Tree DNA. I believe there is also a connection through the Webb family to the Cecils and others. I'm currently awaiting Big Y results which may help clarify the connection.
 I've been trying to research local history to try and find some connection and I'm hoping Hereford Records Office may be able to help me look into this. I do know my ancestors lived in the right geographical area. They were mostly farmers and stonemasons. I don't know about the Gilberts specifically but I can't help noting family ties between the Cecils of Allt yr Ynys and the Vaughans of Bredwardine and Tretower (descended from Walter Seys/Sais).
 I really don't know how the Howells family fit into this but I am trying to find out (with help) whether there could be links an earlier variation of the name in this area "Ap Howel", but this is just my speculation at the moment.
 Dave Cissell manages the Cecil family project at Family Tree DNA and he asked me to mention he would be very interested in hearing from you, as would I.
 regards,
 John Howells