Author Topic: German Births ~ 1830  (Read 12007 times)

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Births ~ 1830
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
Sankt Agidien, Hanover

I have learned that Friedericke Iden may have been an unmarried mother originally from Linden, Hanover.

I have not yet found documentation to verify these links. I tend to get lost very quickly on the Achion site.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
Henry Schumacher, sugar boiler, spouse Catherine Johnson

I have been looking for two brothers and one sister, born 1819 to ~ 1832. Place of birth given as Germany/ Hanover in various censuses. The only connection I have is that they all appear on the same gravestone in Anfield Cemetery, Liverpool and that Daniel is listed as Henry’s brother on the death certificate in 1883 in Liverpool (Henry Schumacher).

I now have three possible births from a tree on Ancestry. The place name is a new one for me and there is little additional information.

Can anyone add to this information or point me in the right direction? To reiterate, I have them on various censuses in the UK. It is the connection in Germany that is eluding me.

Johann Georg Heinrich Christian Schumacher 8 Nov 1819, christened 10 Nov 1819 at Sankt Agidien, Hannover (Family Search)

Hannover, Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) Germany

Metta Schumacher Otten 1830-1901

Daniel Schumacher 1832-1900

Possible parents Schumacher, Friedericke Iden

My gt.grandfather was born in the Kingdom of Hanover too. The usual given name is the one next to the surname and the three previous given names were usually donated by the three male sponsors/witnesses/godfathers - all sponsors chosen either because the person could give the child a job later on in life or was a relative - for instance, my gt.grandfather had three names "Franz Jacob Henning Flamme" his own was "Henning" =  "little Henry" he was named in favour of his father Heinrich/Henry..... and his first sponsor was his grandfather Franz Flemme, the name "Jacob" was donated by a local shopkeeper.

and by looking at the names of my gt.grandfather's children born in the UK they gave the clue to his parents names  "William Henry" and "Edith Sophia".  Thus, if you know the names of Henry's children, the first son will be the name of his father and the second daughter will be the name of his mother.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. Very similar to Scottish naming tradition although the given name would usually be first.

Henry’s first son 1846 was indeed Henry but his second son was Noble after I believe his maternal grandfather.

Something to investigate.

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 19:16 BST (UK) »
I’m beginning to think that Johann Georg Heinrich Christian Schumacher is a red herring and that the Ancestry tree is wrong 😱 What a surprise.

Will continue to look for Henry (1819), Metta (1827) and Daniel (1832) Schumacher born to the same parents in Hannover.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 06 April 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
Just back from holiday and spotted this thread again, so I've been mooching around on FamilySearch ... take a look at the village of Lamstedt, Hannover for the name Schumacher (+ variants) and perhaps think in terms of cousins as well as siblings.
There's a Daniel 1831, Metta 1824 and lots more.

As they say on your other thread ... don't give up, we'll get there in the end. I want to know Henry's origins as well !

[ Have you joined AGFHS and had a search done of their huge database ?]
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 April 19 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks sugarbakers. I will follow this up.

Offline weasal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 09 September 19 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi. This is my family you're talking about. I was looking for a Herald article about my great great grandfather Captain Henry Shumacker and stumbled across your posts. Do you have a connection to them/me? I'm new to this site so it's a bit confusing trying to see everywhere they're mentioned, but it would be great to talk about what you've found out, and vice versa. My sister has done some work on gathering info for our Granny, who is almost 99. Captain Henry Jnr was her grandfather!

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 09 September 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
Great news 😁

Happy to share information

I’ve sent you a direct message. Let me know if you have problems accessing this.

Offline weasal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your PM! Apparently I have to make 3 posts on here before I can reply. So I will make another post after this one and hopefully that unlocks the function.