Author Topic: German Births ~ 1830  (Read 11936 times)

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Births ~ 1830
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 June 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this suggestion. I will follow this up.

Henry was married in 1844 in Cork at St Finn Barrs Cathedral and his daughter was married in 1872 in the Anglican Church in Glasgow, yes Church of England!

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 June 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, interesting re the 1891 & 1901 census and place of birth. Thanks for this.

1911 census has a William & Adelaid Ditchfield living at 65 Lambeth Rd with daughter Adelaid aged 20, all born in Bremen.

'Merta' Otten was living at 65 Lambeth Rd in 1901 with Wilhelm & Adelaid, Adelaid born in Germany

1901 on Metta Otten's death probate was granted to Adelheid Ditzfeld at this same address.

I have an entry for a death of Adelaide Ditzfeld in 1939 in Hawarden. There is a possibility for her in 1939 census as Adelaide Ditchfield b 10 Aug 1862, at 1 Fern Villas Hawarden, not proved.

I believe that Wilhelm Ditzfeld was a widower possibly married to Gerte (Gesche) I have them in the 1881 census at 37 Elston St, Kirkdale.

I will follow up birthplace of Adelaid Otten. My primary interest in in her mother Metta Otten who appears on the original gravestone, the original post, and who I am trying to link to Daniel Schumacher and more importantly Henry Schumacher my direct ancestor.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 June 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Have you found marriage for William Ditzfeld though her mother was Otten in 1901 census that doesn't mean that Adelaid's father was Mr. Otten- mother could have been married more than once.

Not sure what German records would be online but perhaps someone else will be able to help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 June 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
Good point Aghadowey

In 1901 Merta Otten aged 71 born Germany was mother in law to head of household Wilhelm Ditzfeld, age 49 born Germany. His wife Adelaid Ditzfeld age 37 born Germany. Also daughter Dele aged 10 born Germany. Adelaide was granted probate on death of Metta Otten. All at Lambeth Rd.

Have assumed all births and marriages would have been in Germany

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 June 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14751683
Adelaide "Ditchfield" in 1939 has same birthdate as this woman, Dela Ditzfeld, born "Quelkhern".

I think the location is Quelkhorn, a small place now within the municipality of Ottersberg - this would fit with the family being from the Kingdom of Hanover. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 June 17 13:07 BST (UK) »
Adelheid Otten to Claus Heinrich W Ditzfeld, Jun 1889 Liverpool district (Freebmd)

W for Wilhelm/William?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 June 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. Will follow up. Ottersberg rings some bells. Will track through records to trace this.

It is possible that Wilhelm's first wife Gesche/Gertie died in 1888. I have a possible gravestone in Liverpool for her.

I also think that I have found Wilhelm & Adelaide in the 1914-18 internment documents in Saltney. No birth details other than German born.

Thinking out loud now.

Possible birth of Adelaid Otten born 1862 in Ottersberg to Metta (possibly Schumacher) and unknown Otten.

Metta (poss Schumacher) b 1827 and unknown Otten possibly married in Ottersberg.

Am I getting any closer to knowing Metta's parents and thereby proving her relationship with the Daniel & Henry Schumacher, and consequently finding their parents, on the original gravestone, details above.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 June 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
One bell that it might ring could be that ...

Johann Diedrich Schumacher of Ottersberg emigrated to US from Liverpool 1860-66

(Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers Database)

<i>Added...</i> The later of those above dates as Johann Diedrich wid married Anna Bohne 27 April 1865 Liverpool. His father was Hermann.
(FamilySearch)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 June 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. Lots of lines to follow up