Author Topic: Look up; Bridport News, Dorset 10 Nov 1899. Please!  (Read 720 times)

Offline treeworm

• RootsChat Member
  • Barking up the trees
    • View Profile
Look up; Bridport News, Dorset 10 Nov 1899. Please!
« on: Wednesday 31 May 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
 Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this but I was hoping that someone may have access to the old newspapers  Historical newspapers.

I have found two articles in the Bridport News, Dorset relevant to an ancestor. I can't subscribe to either site at the moment and I used up my credits in one in searching for the right page :-\

The articles appear on the 10 November 1899 and the 17 November 1899 and refers to Stephen Camm, a foreman in the bleaching department in Pymore Mills who died at the mills when a boiler exploded.

By searching for key words and copying the small discription next to the page I have tried to piece together the jist of how it happened but I believe I'm missing pieces in the jigsaw.

On the 10th of november it appears to describe the incident etc , then on the 17th of november it describes his funeral and the enquiry pertaining to his death.

I would love to see these articles in full and hope someone can help me out. Best wishes to all

Crossley, Leeds
Skipsey, South Kilvington & Leeds
Frost, York, Leeds
Anslow, Shropshire
Wild, Leeds
Halton, Clapham & Leeds
Hill, Tickhill, Yorkshire
Thomas, Leeds
Edwards, Shropshire
Woolley, Leeds
Mountain- Kirkby Overblow
Camm- Bentham
Pybus- East Cowton

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Look up; Bridport News, Dorset 10 Nov 1899.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
It does seem to be covered in a lot of papers and on several sites.

He appears to have been supervising in the bleaching yard and as he was passing a boiler the cover was forced off by the pressure of steam as a bolt was loose. He was knocked down and his legs and hips were covered in boiling water and steam. He crawled away and Dr McCarthy was called, but he didn't recover and died just before 2 o'clock on the Friday. He'd worked for the Pymore Mills for 29 years. He was a member of the Wesleyan Church, a preacher and an ardent Liberal in politics.

The inquest was held but they only heard evidence from the doctor and adjourned to the following Tuesday. There is a long description of the inquest but the verdict was " The deceased met his death from injuries received from an escape of water and steam and that no one was to blame.

The funeral took place on the Sunday and the hearse was followed by upwards of 100 friends and employees from Pymore Mills. The coffin was elm with brass handles. The inscription was " Stephen Camm born July 3rd 1837 died November 10th 1899 aged 62 years" Main mourners were Mrs Camm (widow) Mr J Camm (son) Mrs Walter Hansfold (daughter) Mr G Camm (son) Miss E Camm (daughter) Mr S Camm (son) Mr Walter Hansfold (son in law) and Mrs G Camm (daughter in law) also grandchildren. _
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline treeworm

• RootsChat Member
  • Barking up the trees
    • View Profile
Look up; Bridport News, Dorset 10 Nov 1899.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Groom :D You've made my day!

Crossley, Leeds
Skipsey, South Kilvington & Leeds
Frost, York, Leeds
Anslow, Shropshire
Wild, Leeds
Halton, Clapham & Leeds
Hill, Tickhill, Yorkshire
Thomas, Leeds
Edwards, Shropshire
Woolley, Leeds
Mountain- Kirkby Overblow
Camm- Bentham