Author Topic: Looking for Annis (Anice) Winterbottom, born around 1808 in Saddleworth  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, wondering if anyone can spot Annis (Anice) Winterbottom's baptism for me please, in the hope of finding her parents. Her first name is a bit unclear but Annis is used more than anything else. But there doesn't appear to be anything similar in the parish registers.

She married James Grindrod in Ashton-under-Lyne on 4 June 1830 (not sure why as they were both born in Saddleworth and James's siblings were born there from 1811 to 1825 and were there in 1841 and onwards). I've only seen the transcription though, so don't know if any witnesses might help.

They had a number of children.... William, Edna, John, Jethro, Mary Jane, Buckley, Sarah, Alice, Eliza, another Eliza and James, and i have managed to follow all but one (Eliza, married John Brierly) through to their deaths.

Sadly Annis committed suicide on 28 Jan 1869 and there is a sad but detailed statement to the coroner by James where he says she 'was 60 years old and my wife, and i have known her all my life'.

Could Annis be a local name, or maybe her mother was Ann and her name was added to to stop confusion.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.... thanks for reading.

PS they appear to have lived in Burnage (later Burnedge) for many years.... when the children were baptised and in the censuses.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Annis (Anice) Winterbottom, born around 1808 in Saddleworth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you have them on the 1851 and 1861 census returns?  Where does Annis/Anice say she was born?
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.... Saddleworth on both  :)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre784

I also have Winterbottoms from Saddleworth. Annis/Anice was a popular name for centuries in Saddleworth. I have an Annis from the 16 hundreds.

Have you tried ordering the microfiche from FamilySearch.com using the FHL number 547825, 547826? Since James and Annis were married after the Marriage Act of 1753, her father's name and occupation is likely to be recorded on the registration.

I had a transcription for a Ann Wilcockson Winterbottom born 12 April 1829. She wasn't present on the 1841 census so I assumed she had died, but there was a John listed born in 1829. So I ordered the microfiche and found that the transcription was incorrect.

How could they transcribe Ann Wilcockson Winterbottom as John Wilcockson Winterbottom? With a name like that you think they would take more notice.

Hope that helps
Cheers

Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen, not ordered anything from family search before but i’ll look into it thanks  :)

Deirdre

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Lancashire opc have the transcription too https://www.lan-opc.org.uk. The only witness is Daniel Slater who seems to be a Church official.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
It is online in Lancashire Marriages on Ancestry - no further details and both ‘of this parish’.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 November 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks heywood  :)