Author Topic: Jessie Turner Hamilton  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Jean Sabourin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jessie Turner Hamilton
« on: Wednesday 31 May 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information about my great grandmother, married name was Hamilton. Born about 1857. Husband was Thomas. They had at least 6 children, Minnie, Thomas, William, Alec, James, Robert.They were married Oct. 12, 1877 in Bothwell. Jessie died May 20, 1912. We don't know much about my grandfather's family. He didn't talk about them.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Turner Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Sounds like you may have viewed Thomas and Jessie's marriage cert given you have precise dates? What did it say regarding her parents' names in both her marriage and death certs?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Is this them after they married in the 1881 census:

Thos Hamilton 23 baker b. Bellshill, Lanarkshire
Jessie T Hamilton 24 b. Innerleitham, Peebleshire
Alex Hamilton 3
James Hamilton 10 Month

Address Main Street, Bothwell Lanarkshire

There is this possible birth index entry for Jessie https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQCG-MP8  In Scotland, Jessie and Janet are common variants and interchangeable. See http://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Jessie.html

The marriage and death regs for her would let you confirm the right family for her and Thomas.

Monica

Added: Maybe keep these family details in mind when you are confirming her details www.ancestry.co.uk/genealogy/records/isabella-dickson_119163411?geo_a=r&o_iid=41013&o_lid=41013&o_sch=Web+Property

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 22:38 BST (UK) »
What was your granfather's name?

There are a number of family trees for the family of Thomas and Jessie on the subscription site Ancestry which would be worth checking. Think you can also check these from a participating Library with access to Ancestry.

1901 census entry for them:

Thomas Hamilton 43 Journeyman, baker
Jessie Hamilton 45
Alexander Hamilton 22
James Hamilton 20
Thomas Hamilton 18
William Hamilton 15
Robert Hamilton 5
Minnie Hamilton 5 months
Alexander Hamilton 5 nephew

Address Violet Grove North Rd, Bellshill/Bothwell

Monica

Offline Jean Sabourin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's name was James Turner Hamilton. He married my grandmother Jean (Jane) Rodger Brady Jan. 1, 1912 in Scotland. Grandpa was born May 21, 1880.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
Death notice in the Bellshill Speaker 24 May 1912

"At Buccleugh Place, Main St., Bellshill on Monday 20th May 1912 Jessie Turner(beloved wife of Thomas Hamilton) aged 56 years,- Deeply regretted."

Her death certificate on SP would hopefully record her parents names.

Also note these two notices 2 Nov 1817

"At 6 John St Bellshill,on 1st inst., Thomas Hamilton (late with Wm Austin Bakers) age 59 years. (Public funeral to Bothwell Cemetry, Tomorrow (Saturday) at 4 O' Clock PM)."

7 April 1900

"In the Western Infirmary, Glasgow, on the 1st inst, Jessie Hamilton, aged 3 1/2years, beloved daughter of Thomas and Jessie Hamilton, Violet Grove Bellshill; sadly mourned".

Perhaps a daughter who will not have been recorded in any census.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Jean Sabourin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 June 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
My mother, Helen Leitch Hamilton was born April 17, 1913 at Violet Grove, North Road, Bellshill according to her birth certificate. I have the original. I have heard that there are quite a few Hamiltons in Bellshill.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 June 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
I note that Jessie's death in 1912 in the index on Scotland's People is recorded as Jessie Jamieson Hamilton which would suggest that the birth identified by Monica in 1855 for Janet Jamieson Turner is likely to be correct. 1855 was the first year of statutory registration in Scotland - certs were particularly detailed in that year.If you have not already done so it would be well worth obtaining her birth,marriage and death certs. from Scotland's People. ( I had expected to be able to locate her in the 1861 and 1871 census prior to her marriage but have thus far been unable to locate her).

William

Added Just noticed that there may be an incorrect transcription for her in the 1871 census - surname showing as Surner and living in Bothwell, father a railway worker. Another transcription has her surname as Turner.

James Turner 43 Railway Pointsman b Dreghorn Lanarkshire
Elizabeth 43 wife b Midlothian (might be West Calder)
John D 19 Son b Lanarkshire
William 17 Son b Lanarkshire
Janet Daughter 15 b Innerliethan
Marion Daughter 12 b Kirkurd, Peeblesshire
James Son 10 b Kirkurd
Arch Son 5 b Newlands Peeblesshire

And in 1861 the family are living in Kirkurd Peeblesshire. Father James is showing here as a police constable. His wife is showing as Isabella (note that Elizabeth and Isabella can be interchangeable). Janet's place of birth is transcribed as Kirkurd in this census.

James 34
Isabella34
John 9
William 7
Janet 5
Marion 2
Jane 1

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 June 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
A little more

Possible marriage 28 Nov 1847 Newlands Peebles James Turner and Isabella Dickson.

From freecen this is them, I think, in the 1851 census

James Turner 24 Miller Born Lanark,Lanarkshire
Isabella Turner 23 Wife Born Edinburgh, Midlothian
Isabella Young 5 Stepdaughter Born Newlands, Peeblesshire.

Address Newlands Peeblesshire

Cannot immediately see a birth for Isabella Young - it looks like she is recorded as a servant in West Linton in the 1861 census.

Possible death in Bothwell for Isabella Turner (other name Dickson) in 1874 aged 46. Again the death cert.on Scotland's People would hopefully give her parents names.

I would also suggest you have a look at the excellent Scottish Indexes site where there are very good transcriptions of the 1841,1851 and 1861 censuses for Peeblesshire - there are links between each of the censuses and first class maps showing the precise location of where James and Isabella were living in each census.

William