Author Topic: Aberlady/Haddington Death - Struggling with burial location  (Read 8555 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aberlady/Haddington Death - Struggling with burial location
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 November 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

When you send a pm, make sure you tick the box "Save a copy in my outbox" under the text box.

Hope this helps.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 November 17 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Dawn.

I will do that next time. At least, I'll try! It was actually a reply on another thread that I "lost", so I just typed out the information again and did manage to send it.

Thanks again.

Anne

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 May 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,
I've done this one before, years ago I mean, but it was to find this person, ''David Bryce Tod'' & his Father, but mostly his Father.  I have info: on my computer reference his son ''David'', the one your researching, so I'll give you what I have on him. I do hope it helps some.
In 1911, David resided with his wife, two sons and a boarder in the High Street, Aberlady.  His son James was a Civil Engineer, the other son Robert a Draper and the boarder John a Political Secretary.  David was a Hotel Proprietor, and aged 72, his wife Annie Guy aged 66.
If I remember correctly David died in Aberlady aged 80 and his wife died in Canongate, Edinburgh, aged 87.
I'm sure both were interred in Canongate Churchyard in Edinburgh together because when searching after another person, David Rizzo, who died 1566 Secretary to Mary Stuart's, I did see Memorial Stones for families named Tod, some quite difficult to read due to weather damage.  This Churchyard is considerably old and many of the Memorial Stones are black from soot, due to the black smokey chimney's of long ago.
Hope this helps Richard......................................................Ron.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 May 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have looked at Canongate Churchyard on "Find A Grave" website, page 74, has 5 Tods, unfortunately not the ones we were looking for. There isa photo of the headstone, which proves that David Bryce Tod or wife Annie, was not in this grave.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/search?cemetery-name=Canongate+Churchyard&cemetery-loc=&only-with-cemeteries=cemOnly&locationId=

Click on the 1579 memorials and then take a long scroll down to "Tod"

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 May 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I then checked Aberlady churchyard, and 82% of gravestones had been photographed, but none were of the "Tod's".

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/search?cemetery-name=Aberlady+Cemetery&cemetery-loc=&only-with-cemeteries=cemOnly&locationId=

Tom Buchanan

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 May 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
I presume you are relying on documentary searches ref: Tod's;  I'm speaking of a physical search of Canongate Churchyard, which I carried out when looking for David Rizzio and saw burials for,  Catherine Tod, Catherine Banks Tod, Henry Tod, Janet Tod and Margaret Tod.  They were four layer burials in each making i.e. Family Chambers. Possibly David Bryce Tod and his wife Annie Guy could be interred within these Family Layers.  A physical search would solve all for sure.
Adam Smith the Great Kirkcaldy author is interred there but in some documentary burial layers his name is absent.
Anyhow, I won't leave it there but will have a search for David myself as I still do have some info: on his Father...the Architect...............................Ron.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 May 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

On the Find A Grave website, it gave a photograph of headstone in Canongate churchyard, which gave all the names, you gave in your reply. If you send me a PM with your email address, I will send a copy of it to you.

On a previous reply to this topic, the widow of David Bryce Tod had an intimation in the Scotsman that shows her to be interred in Aberlady, as was James Tod, their son. I don't think the widow would be buried in different churchyard. I could be wrong, have been wrong before.

Tom Buchanan

PS
Annie Guy died at 182 Easter Road, Edinburgh on 16thMay 1928 and interred at Aberlady on the Saturday at 2:00pm. (Scotsman 17 May 1928)
 James Tod, their son, had cortege leave from 13 Blantyre Terrace, Edinburgh to Aberlady Churchyard, meet cortege at Aberlady on Sunday at 3:00pm. (Scotsman 14 Jul 1934)

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 May 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Thank you for the details regarding David and his wife.  I've spent an hour contacting a friend who helps in awkward 'finds' and helped with the David Tod, 'Architect' search a few years back and he assures me that David Bryce Tod is interred in a Bryce Family Plot in 'New Calton Cemetery', Edinburgh.  Seemingly Architects were in the Bryce Family too and of course this was his Mother's family. 
If you'd like to check Tom, if you can that is, let me know how you fair..........

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 May 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

David Bryce the architect was the natural father of David Bryce Tod, whose mother was Janet Tod. David Bryce died 7th May 1876, he was single and death was registered by his nephew, John Bryce of 3 Frederick St., Edinburgh. His parents were both deceased, William Bryce, Architect and his wife Agnes TOD. So I will need to try and get the connection of Agnes Tod and Janet Tod who was his partner, in the birth of David Bryce Tod. This connection could be the reason for him not marrying her.

Tom Buchanan