Author Topic: Aberlady/Haddington Death - Struggling with burial location  (Read 8578 times)

Offline Happiness4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aberlady/Haddington Death - Struggling with burial location
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should be saying 'Janet Tod' rather than 'Jane Tod' - as you all have rightly said.
As for the one and two 'd's - 'Tod' and 'Todd'.

I seem to remember that the one 'd' was always insisted on, and that the family wanted it to be established, (for some odd reason!) -- that their surname was 'Tod' with one 'd'.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
They seem to be just using an antique spelling of Todd, a not unusual occurrence in Scottish surnames. Marriage is not a sacrament in the Church of Scotland & generally took place at home or the manse & not the kirk. The Kirk Session's main interest was insuring that fatherless bairns did not become a burden on the parish.

The interesting Scots prohibition on marriage to a great-grannie must be aimed less at interbreeding as preventing some unscrupulous mountebank from getting his hands on her siller!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi  Happiness4,

Welcome to RootsChat, hope you enjoy the searches. I had a few days off, enjoying the great weather.

How sure are you that Agnes and Janet Tod were cousins and not sisters? I meant to spend some time on that, and it slipped my mind.

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Happiness4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, Tom Buchanan.
Thank you for talking to me -  and glad to hear that you've had days off.
I'm pretty sure that Agnes Tod is the aunt of Janet Tod for this reason.
Firstly it relates to the Blyths, Banks and Tods - and the gravestones in, I think in the Cannongate or/and Carlton Hill cemetery.
It shows a Henry Tod married to Catherine Banks. Then I have worked out by the censuses that their children married more than one Blyth. People with these surnames turn up as gardeners, or living with Janet Tod or at one of the Bryce family addresses in Bath Street, leith, which, as far as I can see, is no more.
Janet Tod moves around these addresses every 10 years. She was at one time living with who I presume is her brother, a John Tod, and writer of the signet (solicitor) and his wife Elizabeth. At the time (census) that David Bryce's mother Agnes (Tod) was living with him, it was then that the baby David Bryce Tod, was born. I expect David Bryce must have made the aquaintance of Janet Tod when she visited her aunt Agnes at his house
I'm sure that David Bryce Tod is Janet Tod's son since in the censuses, whereever she moves, he, as a boy, can be found living with a lady called Ann Alexander very near to her.

The only thing that I have not proof of is that Agnes Tod is indeed the sister of Henry Tod, Janet's father. That is too far back, before the censuses.

Best Wishes. Barbara

Offline Happiness4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information, Skoosh.
The question of 'siller' actually adds to the mystery, since David Bryce was a wealthy person, so most probably wouldn't have been after her silver.
Even though they were cousins, there was/is no law against the marriage of cousins.
I wonder, sadly, if David Bryce Tod was the result of a one night liaison, and that Janet Tod or David Bryce didn't really want to get married because of this. Then I think that the relationship must have developed as they grew older, hence, for their last census they were living together.
For some reason neither of them got married either to each other or to anyone else.
I can't understand why.

Best Wishes, Skoosh
I'm off to do grannie-work in London

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Happiness, David certainly couldn't have managed without a housekeeper/servant, a sister or cousin was ideal. ;D

Bests,

Skoosh.