Author Topic: Thomas Mathews Llangyfelach  (Read 1075 times)

Offline welshbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Mathews Llangyfelach
« on: Saturday 03 June 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please?

I have completed some research into my great grandfather Samuel Mathews ( B1853) and his parents Thomas Mathews ( B1820?) and mother Ann ( B1817, registered deaf). I have Samuel with his parents in the 1861 census ( RG06 Parish 4095 District 90 page number 17) and the censuses that follow that. I do know for certain that the family took a ship to Pennsylvania in 1849 so no UK census for 1851 for them and they returned to the UK probably 1852.

Where I am completely baffled is, where are Samuel's parents in 1841 and also I cannot find any marriage for them or any details of their parents? ?

If anyone can shed any light on this and point me in the right direction I will be thrilled  ;D

Many thanks

Welshbear 

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mathews Llangyfelach
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
They in LLangyfelach under the name Mathew.

HO107/1419/3/F7

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline welshbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Great thanks Emelton - I had spotted this before but was not sure it was them. Still no luck on finding a marriage for them or their parents though - really stuck on this one. Will have to keep digging!

Thanks

Welshbear

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 June 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
I think it would be worthwhile to make further enquiries about this marriage....

Marriages December quarter 1840

(couples appearing on the same page)

HILL            Catherine
HUGHES    Anne   
JOHN    Mary        
JONES    Mary        
LLOYD    John        
MATHEW    James        
MORDECAI Roger        
SAMUEL    John   

Swansea    Vol. 26   Page. 628

The names Thomas and James are often mistranscribed as each other.  From a marriage cert on a family tree I can tell you that Roger MORDECAI and Mary JOHN married each other in the parish church at Llangyfellach on 17 October so that leaves six people to make up the three couples.

If you fill out the order form and check 'No' for the question 'Is the GRO Index Reference Number known' and on the next page put HUGHES Anne for Party 1 surname and forename and for Party 2 surname put MATHEW and DO NOT fill in the forename.  If these two did not marry each other then you will not be charged.  If they did marry each other then you will have to pay and will at least get a look at the cert to see if his name is wrongly indexed.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/menu.asp

This looks like a good possibility for Ann's baptism:

Name    Ann HUGHES
Birth Date    22 Jan 1817
Birthplace    MYNYDD BACH AND BETHEL INDEPENDENT,LLANGYFELACH AND LLANSAMLET,GLAMORGAN,WALES
Father's Name:    Samuel HUGHES
Mother's Name:    Mary

Debra  :)

Offline welshbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dundee - this is really helpful. I am quite a novice at this and don't always consider that names have been transcribed incorrectly.

Much appreciated

Welshbear